Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

How much is too much ?

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2014 at 2:49 PM
  • 33 Replies

My DD is obsessed with horses.  She has been for as long as I can remember.  This year she pleaded her case and my XH said we should put her in Horse riding camp for a couple weeks.  He'd pay for a week and I'd pay for the other.  My mom took pity on my wallet and ended up paying for "my" week.   Camp is VERY expensive hense why we took only 2 weeks

I understand that horse back riding is a nice sport and all and the camp is a small ranch, well organized, small groups, DD gets private lessons , they educate the kids A LOT on everything that has to do with horses they also ride and tend the horses but at $400 a week I'm flabergasted.  Horse camps are far and few between and all run in the same price range.

My husband (DD"s step father) is outraged that, that kind of money is being spent on a camp for a 10 year old he says it's a waste of money.  I'm not dissagreing 100%. I'm glad DD gets to live her dream, she is clearly thriving there and loving it but I must say that for the same amount (given the fact that my mom paid for my share)  I booked DD 4 weeks of private themed camp near our house for the rest of the summer.

thoughts ?

by on Jul. 15, 2014 at 2:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofnatalie
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 4:11 PM

I think supporting your children's interests are important but also staying within a budget of what you can afford is more important.  Being financially responisble is the best lesson to teach your child and if you cannot afford it, you can explain to her what the situation is.  However, if you can afford it but disagree on the cost then you need to talk it out with your current DH and agree on what you feel comfortable paying for a week of horse camp and if your ex wants to send her then he can take your contribution and figure out how much time he wants to pay.

melindabelcher
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 7:12 PM

If you guys can afford it i say go for it! 

If its a real passion of hers as she get older she may find a way to work with them for employment. Or work to pay her own way at camp. 

If you can't afford it i wouldn't do it. I wouldn't want to teach my child that they should be able to get whatever they want while racking up debt at my expense. Teaching the value of the dollar and responsible spending is really important. 

PeachQuean
by on Jul. 15, 2014 at 7:19 PM

My cousin was always obsessed with horses from the time she was a toddler. My Aunt and Uncle had money though (owned their own grocery store) when she was three they bought her her own horse and paid someone to take her riding and then my aunt took lessons so they could ride together. 

She is 20 now and stillloves horses, she rides and does competitions doing the jumps and stuff, and has her own horse (but she boards now) 

I think its great to help kids with their interests, my cousin always had the support and she has taken it to a proffesional setting, making money withthe competitions and she teaches kids to ride.

Money may be an issue, so hopefully you ccan find something that works to your advantage. Find a local farm where they give lessons maybe your dd can tarde an hour of shoveling horse poop for an hour of riding lessons....

BonitaM
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 8:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I say go for it.  I remember when I was that age.  I too was obsessed with horses and started calling the stock yards to see if I could buy one by myself since my parents kept saying no. lol  I got my horse that year after a long lecture and we spent tons of time together.  She goes any direction except forwards though. lol  I still love her and am thinking of taking my DD out on her tomorrow if the weather is nice.  She's been begging me for weeks.  As long as I can afford it I will support all of my DD's passions whole heartedly.  I think it's very important and just as important to make sure they stick to it and don't back out half way through.

waytomanykids10
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 9:17 PM
I can't say much. My sister just bought her 11 year old her 5th colt at about $10,000.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this

well the end of your post is what cracks me up about her camp - they make the kids take care of the horse from A to Z - which includes brushing, washing, feeding, mounting, riding, and yes cleaning after them.  My thing is it's not that I don't want DD to shovel horse poop or learn these steps, but I think I'm paying a lady money for cheap labor for her ranch.   That's my whole thing, DD gets to ride for a few hours but she is basically a care taker for the horses but she doesn't get paid for it.  As she gets older, I'm thinking exactly what you are saying, getting her a job at a local ranch instead, then she gets to do it all and actually getting paid for it except of bleeding me dry

Quoting PeachQuean:

My cousin was always obsessed with horses from the time she was a toddler. My Aunt and Uncle had money though (owned their own grocery store) when she was three they bought her her own horse and paid someone to take her riding and then my aunt took lessons so they could ride together. 

She is 20 now and stillloves horses, she rides and does competitions doing the jumps and stuff, and has her own horse (but she boards now) 

I think its great to help kids with their interests, my cousin always had the support and she has taken it to a proffesional setting, making money withthe competitions and she teaches kids to ride.

Money may be an issue, so hopefully you ccan find something that works to your advantage. Find a local farm where they give lessons maybe your dd can tarde an hour of shoveling horse poop for an hour of riding lessons....

Firespirit13
by New Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 9:56 AM

Horse camps are quite expensive no matter where you are but the cost of keeping those horses is insane as well so the price is reasonable to a degree depending on if its a stay there type thing or itf its a you take her every day.  But if you dont have the money dont do it.  That is how i teach my kids because I know later in life they are going to want things and I want them to learn that you can have it if you can afford it

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 9:59 AM

what is the cost of keeping a horse anyways ?

yesterday I was wondering seriously how a ranch makes money ?? 

where DD goes to camp there are full of ranches around and I can't help but wonder how do these people make money ?  Is it all from lessons and boarding ? I don't get it ....

Quoting Firespirit13:

Horse camps are quite expensive no matter where you are but the cost of keeping those horses is insane as well so the price is reasonable to a degree depending on if its a stay there type thing or itf its a you take her every day.  But if you dont have the money dont do it.  That is how i teach my kids because I know later in life they are going to want things and I want them to learn that you can have it if you can afford it

KREX0914
by on Jul. 16, 2014 at 10:00 AM

I went to horse camp. It's the best childhood memory I have. I bought a horse a few years back but couldn't break him :( He has a new home now.

PeachQuean
by on Jul. 16, 2014 at 10:09 AM
1 mom liked this

No matter where you go for lessons to ride its the whole deal. Cleaning up after them and feedings etc....You are paying them to teach her exactly that, not just riding lessons. 

Now I am in Canada and EVERYWHERE that does lessons does it that exact way. 

But I do know a few ppl with small hobby farms that will allow some lower income kids to come and help on the farm in trade for free lessons. Since they dont normally do lessons. 

Its not exactly hard to take care of a horse. I used to at a younger age take care of my Grandmothers horse when they went out of town. I'd stay with my Great Grandmother On the Island and get up at 5am at the age of 8 and bike 45 minutes to her house and let the horse out into the range and feed him  and clean out the barn stall etc......its very easy and its good expierence. 

Which is also attached to my resume, if your dd is really into horses when she is older having this under her will hep if she wants to work on a ranch or a small hobby farm etc....

But yeah, you are paying for her to learn every duty there is to be done withhorses and that includes the care and cleanup and the riding part.

Quoting Jinxed8:

well the end of your post is what cracks me up about her camp - they make the kids take care of the horse from A to Z - which includes brushing, washing, feeding, mounting, riding, and yes cleaning after them.  My thing is it's not that I don't want DD to shovel horse poop or learn these steps, but I think I'm paying a lady money for cheap labor for her ranch.   That's my whole thing, DD gets to ride for a few hours but she is basically a care taker for the horses but she doesn't get paid for it.  As she gets older, I'm thinking exactly what you are saying, getting her a job at a local ranch instead, then she gets to do it all and actually getting paid for it except of bleeding me dry

Quoting PeachQuean:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)