Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

How much is too much ?

Posted by   + Show Post

My DD is obsessed with horses.  She has been for as long as I can remember.  This year she pleaded her case and my XH said we should put her in Horse riding camp for a couple weeks.  He'd pay for a week and I'd pay for the other.  My mom took pity on my wallet and ended up paying for "my" week.   Camp is VERY expensive hense why we took only 2 weeks

I understand that horse back riding is a nice sport and all and the camp is a small ranch, well organized, small groups, DD gets private lessons , they educate the kids A LOT on everything that has to do with horses they also ride and tend the horses but at $400 a week I'm flabergasted.  Horse camps are far and few between and all run in the same price range.

My husband (DD"s step father) is outraged that, that kind of money is being spent on a camp for a 10 year old he says it's a waste of money.  I'm not dissagreing 100%. I'm glad DD gets to live her dream, she is clearly thriving there and loving it but I must say that for the same amount (given the fact that my mom paid for my share)  I booked DD 4 weeks of private themed camp near our house for the rest of the summer.

thoughts ?

by on Jul. 15, 2014 at 2:49 PM
Replies (31-33):
Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 3:35 PM

I am hoping for that actually - because I'm all for this camp she's in but she's basically tending horses which is paid labor except I"m paying for it !!!  I think she would be so happy doing this and getting paid for it that this is definitely something I will aim for.

Quoting starreyedcutie: Contact local farms and offer to do labor for lessons. Alot of horse owners do it snd thats how i took horseback riding lessons. I earned my lessons through farm labor.

starreyedcutie
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 5:36 PM
It teaches her respect for the horses and shows her how much work goes into it and in turn she gets what she wants which is time with the horses and knowledge. Its a win win. She earns her lessons through taking care of them and workung for it.

Quoting Jinxed8:

I am hoping for that actually - because I'm all for this camp she's in but she's basically tending horses which is paid labor except I"m paying for it !!!  I think she would be so happy doing this and getting paid for it that this is definitely something I will aim for.

Quoting starreyedcutie: Contact local farms and offer to do labor for lessons. Alot of horse owners do it snd thats how i took horseback riding lessons. I earned my lessons through farm labor.

squeekers
by Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 5:50 PM
1 mom liked this

tell them one horse power for a child now is still cheaper than serious horse power (vehicle) for a teenager later in life.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)