Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

I have to make the decision to be OK with it before I can even mention it to DF

Posted by on Jul. 17, 2014 at 4:15 PM
  • 35 Replies

My Mom wants to take DD (3.5) on a trip soon ... just DD. It's a 3+ hour drive (my Mom is an OK driver, but I can count on both hands the amount of accidents that she's been in for as long as I can remember) both ways ... she wants to leave on a Saturday afternoon and return on a Tuesday evening. My Mom is going to visit with her BF, whom I have never met, and his grandchildren. (They dated in HS and recently reconnected.) 

I dont know how to feel about it. I have never been away from DD for more than maybe 24 hours and she has been within 20 minutes drive time from me. She doesn't like knew people, she is very clingy when she's nervous/scared and my Mom can not physically pick her up. Did I mention the drive is 3+ hours both ways and she'll be gone nearly 3 days? 

When she was talking about it and asking, she wasn't asking if I woud mind, she was asking if DF would mind. I looked at her and I was like "Really, I'm suppose to automatically be fine with it? I'll think it over and then talk to him." I wasn't nasty or anything about it, just making a general comment. She doesn't know when it is that she'll be going, or she just left that part out. I don't know.

So I'm going to think about it tonight and talk to him about it tomorrow I guess and see what he says. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

by on Jul. 17, 2014 at 4:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melindabelcher
by on Jul. 17, 2014 at 4:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Hope you can find a decision your comfortable with.
Only you know your child that way and can best guess how she'll react.
My kiddos have been away for a weekend a couple times with my mom as young as 2. But I 100% trust my mom.
Garnet_Iris11
by Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 4:28 PM

It's not that I don't fully trust my Mom, she's amazing with DD. (But can be fierce with her the way that she was with me. She and I butt heads about that.) It's just that it's so far away, I don't know the guy, and my Mom can't physically pick her up and so on (has a bad back and kneck). If I could meet the guy (he's suppose to come down the first weekend of August) and let DD be around him for a bit I might feel a little more at ease. I would also like it if someone else would drive with her on the trip rather than it just being herself and DD. (I would go, but I manage our family business and the both of us can't be out at the same time, DF can't ask for that many days off in a row.) 

Quoting melindabelcher: Hope you can find a decision your comfortable with. Only you know your child that way and can best guess how she'll react. My kiddos have been away for a weekend a couple times with my mom as young as 2. But I 100% trust my mom.

melindabelcher
by on Jul. 17, 2014 at 4:33 PM
That would be hard for me to be comfortable with :(

Quoting Garnet_Iris11:

It's not that I don't fully trust my Mom, she's amazing with DD. (But can be fierce with her the way that she was with me. She and I butt heads about that.) It's just that it's so far away, I don't know the guy, and my Mom can't physically pick her up and so on (has a bad back and kneck). If I could meet the guy (he's suppose to come down the first weekend of August) and let DD be around him for a bit I might feel a little more at ease. I would also like it if someone else would drive with her on the trip rather than it just being herself and DD. (I would go, but I manage our family business and the both of us can't be out at the same time, DF can't ask for that many days off in a row.) 

Quoting melindabelcher: Hope you can find a decision your comfortable with.
Only you know your child that way and can best guess how she'll react.
My kiddos have been away for a weekend a couple times with my mom as young as 2. But I 100% trust my mom.

momofnatalie
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 6:05 PM

I think if DD is clingy, she would probably have a rough time for her.  My DD is similar and I think when they are older, she might do better.  If you feel uncomfortable about it, don't do it.  You will be worried about her the entire time. 

Smashley222
by on Jul. 17, 2014 at 6:14 PM

Personally, i wouldn't let her go... not only did u say she is clingy, but your mom cant even physically pick her up. You've never met this man, either. I would not let my child go 3 hours away from me with someone who can't be physically reliable with my daughter, and plus i dont trust anyone i dont know with my kids. Especially men, and especially if they will be spending the night with them. But thats just me...

TristanMitchael
by Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 10:21 PM
I don't think I'd be OK with it but it would be hard to say no.
nebcutie
by Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 10:27 PM
I could not do it, not that i do not trust my mom but 3 hours away with a stranger to me and my dd i just would not feel comfortable at all.
bbyblueAK
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 11:40 PM
If you are uncomfortable about it. Don't do it. You know what is best for your daughter
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:18 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:17 AM

Not sure I could do that ;(
Let us know what you decide ;)

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 2:57 PM
1 mom liked this

judging by the overall of what you wrote I am not sure I would be 100% comfortable if it were my DD. That being said.  It is important however, that DD can "survive" without you more than 24 hours, trust me in the long run you don't want a clingy baby / child.  (my DD is still mad at me for a 5 day trip to Vegas I took 3 years ago..; UGH !)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN