Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Parents Shot in Front of Their 16-Year-Son

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:28 PM
  • 10 Replies

Parents Shot in Front of Their 16-Year-Son as They Try to Buy Him a Car

by Lisa Fogarty

What was supposed to be a happy, memorable day for one Kansas City teenager quickly turned into the worst day of his life when his parents were shot while trying to buying him a car.

The teen's 53-year-old father and his 55-year-old mother responded to a Craigslist ad listing a 2007 Hyundai Sonata for $3,000 -- which they probably figured was the perfect first car for their 16-year-old son. But when the trio met up with the seller to test drive and consider the vehicle, the senseless thing that happened next would forever change their lives.

The teen and his dad -- whose names haven't been released -- had just finished test driving the car with a third suspect named "AJ" when two gunmen allegedly appeared and demanded that the man and and his wife turn over all of their money. The father reportedly stepped in front of his wife to protect her after one of the men pointed his gun in her direction -- and that's when the men began firing.

The father was shot four times -- in the chest, stomach, and legs. His wife suffered a bullet to her upper right arm, which was said to be "shattered" after the incident. The armed robbers then reportedly stole the wife's purse and fled in the Hyundai -- which police later found abandoned on the side of a road.

Fortunately, the couple's teen son was not hurt -- physically -- though, needless to say, witnessing his parents being shot is very likely going to affect him for years to come.

The suspects haven't been caught yet, but police believe there may be a link between this crime and one that took place a few hours earlier, in which a man reported being robbed by armed gunmen after he attempted to sell his Xbox and accessories on Craigslist.

How disgusting. This was supposed to be a really sweet moment for the teen -- a coming-of-age story. Thank goodness the three victims who fell prey to this alleged Craigslist scheme survived. Hoping the cops find these suspects soon so they can face the consequences of their actions.

Have you ever met up with anyone you made contact with through a Craiglist ad?

by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TheCupcakeMom
by Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 1:13 PM
1 mom liked this

That poor kid! He's probably going to blame himself too. Oh my. I hope he has support.

melindabelcher
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 1:30 PM
That's aweful!! :(
momofnatalie
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 2:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I hope the father is ok with no long lasting affect from the wounds.  That is so horrible.  I've bought some baby items and table off CL and never had any issues.  I will never buy a car off CL just for this reason, I have heard abot these horror stories.

egyptian_mommy
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 10:39 PM
That's horrible.
SarahSuzyQ
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 11:10 PM
How awful. I'm always skeptical about Craigslist meetups because of stuff like this, but DH does it all the time.
nebcutie
by Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 11:11 PM
I have read this story a few places and does anyone know if the parents are ok?
PinkButterfly66
by Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 11:18 PM

My brother sells and buys stuff all the time through Craigslist.  Me, never.  Seems like too many dishonest people just wanting to scam.  

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:20 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Silver Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 12:12 AM

Aww how awful for him :(

dromani
by New Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 3:12 AM
My husband and I have sold a motocycle and our car on C.L. Both times met in a public parking lot and I was always strapped just in case while he dealt with the buyer. It's not safe. I don't know of a safer alternative for us to privately sell those two items. Be it from a flyer or in the newspaper ads you never know who you will really meet up with.
mmtosam06
by Bronze Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 3:14 AM
That is just awful
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)