Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Energy drinks and 6 yr old? :[ (Vent)

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 7:41 PM
  • 74 Replies

***UPDATE 7-26-14*** 
Wow I'm sorry this snowballed into this. I was aggravated with him, I THOUGHT it was an energy drink, but to my understanding a couple of days later, turns out what I thought was an energy drink was actually an electrolyte and B vitamin (basically gatorade) additive that you can put in water bottles. He added some to a little water in a glass for her to try. She said "Now I have ENERGY!" and I assumed the worst and it freaked me out. 
We never have energy drinks in the house, I think they taste nasty. But my husband occasionally brings those little energy shot things to work. (He's not a coffee drinker, except on Christmas.) So I sometimes see those in the cabinets in the kitchen. Thank you all for your support, I didn't mean for it to turn into this, and please know we will never give our babies energy drinks. Yuck. Now to read all 20 pages of replies. Yikes....
_________________________________________________________________________________
Original post:
Yeah, so... just came upstairs to find my 6 y/o daughter drinking what I thought was strawberry Kool-Aid but she was making a big deal about it so I was suspicious. She was like "I'm just drinking Kool-Aid, mom." *BIG WINK AT DAD*, (and he returned the wink). I went for the cup and she was like "NOOOOOO!" As I smelled it, she goes "I have ENERGY!!" I asked him if he gave her a freakin' energy drink and he said "Just a little." IT IS SIX THIRTY AT NIGHT! She'll NEVER go to bed!! He's never had to get up with them/stay up with them though the night, (except the ONE time I had a bad stomach virus) and if I made him after pulling this, he'd be sleeping in his chair while she bounced off walls at 11:30pm, and my anxieties about that fact would not let me sleep anyway. Are you KIDDING? Really?? I mean it WAS just a TINY bit in her cup, but how much does it take to make a kid wired for sound?? Not much, I'm guessing. Argh.

by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 7:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SarahSuzyQ
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 10:56 PM
21 moms liked this
Wow. Those drinks are terrible for anyone, let alone young kids.

The bigger issue here is that Dad giving her the drink and encouraging her to lie about it. I would be all kinds of upset about this whole situation. I understand why you are.
PinkButterfly66
by Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 11:07 PM
11 moms liked this

Dumbass gave it too her.  Dumbass should stay up with her.  Get up periodically to yell at his ass to wake him up.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:10 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Silver Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 12:11 AM
3 moms liked this

Not good ;(
What time did she finally go to sleep?
Hugs to you :)

bbyblueAK
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 8:02 AM
Wow im sorry the asshat gave that to her. I would be pissed as well as the fact he was encouraging her to lie about it
athorne
by Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 9:53 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't blame you at all. Those energy drinks are way too much and the ingredients in them can do a lot to your brain cells( I found out the hard way since I used to have seizures) even for adults. A six year old's brain is not fully developed yet and they still have a long way to go before it reaches that stage therefore I feel that it could be dangerous especially if they end up drinking a lot of them. I would definitely say something to your husband.
Mrs.Bolin
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this

What a fking idiot!!!!! Im pretty sure i would have dumped it in his face

nicjarzac
by on Jul. 19, 2014 at 11:52 AM
4 moms liked this

Just a little can do the trick as you've learned. I'd look at it like this. Sometimes men JUST DON'T GET IT!  They can't believe that something like a drink could do such damage.  My hubby is very kind hearted and wouldn't do something if he really believed it would hurt our kids but he has done some things that really had to say you're kidding right? To him afterward

JunkYdMom
by Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 1:11 PM
2 moms liked this
No,no,no...I'd be so mad at my husband. When my oldest daughter was in high school I told her you had to 21 to buy energy drinks. She believed me for the longest time tell one of her friends ratted me out..No regrets on that one.
momofnatalie
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 2:41 PM

Oh no, I would be so mad.  Was he thinking, oh wait he wasn't.  Argh!  I hope he realizes that he shouldn't be giving that to your DD anymore. 

chaotic.mind
by Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 4:18 PM
Those drinks are terrible. I'd be pissed that he gave it to her and thought it was okay to have her lie about it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)