Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Dairy Free/Vegan mamas....(piog)

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2014 at 12:26 PM
  • 5 Replies
Carter is on regular organic cow's milk based formula, and he's still pretty dependant on it. Next month when he turns one I want to put him on the 12-36 month toddler formula (which comes in soy as well as dairy). His older brother drinks Soy milk every morning with breakfast, but gets all his essential nutrients from his regular diet, as, he's almost two. My question is, what is your take on soy vs. dairy? Or any other non dairy "milks" for that matter. Some research has shown me that soy is the best dairy free option nutrient wise, but I'm still fairly new at this. Experienced mamas, I need your input! TIA :)
by on Jul. 19, 2014 at 12:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 12:34 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Silver Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 12:41 PM

Am not sure,
I do know my youngest was on soy when he was a baby as that is what they suggested.
Hope others can help :)

mewebb82
by Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 12:46 PM
Soy scares me because of the protein in it that mimics estrogen. It has been linked to girls hitting puberty sooner but has not really been studied much as far as the possible effects with boys. We avoid soy as much as possible because there hasn't been enough research IMO. Nutritionally, I've found almond milk or hemp milk to be the best alternatives to cows milk. My kids prefer the taste of almond milk though so that is what we all drink usually.
Honestly, I would stick with cows milk formula if he isn't having any issues with it.
momofnatalie
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 2:44 PM

Dd #2 is allergic to cow's milk.  I avoided soy based on some of the research out there.  I chose coconut milk and DD enjoys it.  Cow's milk has more protein so it can help your child feel more full.

Mrs.Bolin
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 3:09 PM

this!  

Quoting mewebb82: Soy scares me because of the protein in it that mimics estrogen. It has been linked to girls hitting puberty sooner but has not really been studied much as far as the possible effects with boys. We avoid soy as much as possible because there hasn't been enough research IMO. Nutritionally, I've found almond milk or hemp milk to be the best alternatives to cows milk. My kids prefer the taste of almond milk though so that is what we all drink usually. Honestly, I would stick with cows milk formula if he isn't having any issues with it.

clairewait
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 3:45 PM

I gave my older girls regular cow's milk (whole) at one, as I was really concerned about the fat content for brain development.

Then my 3rd child, a boy, was allergic to milk. He was BF'ed until about 14 months and if I drank milk and nursed him he broke out with eczema. He has since had 2 reactions to milk products that made us completely stay away.

I tried almond milk at first, and then cocounut milk, and then the coconut almond mix. Then I realized that there really isn't much nutrition in any of these. Little to no fat, little to no protein, and only about 30% of their daily calcium. 

We pretty much just give him water to drink now, and it seems that as far as gaining weight and eating well goes, he's pretty much thriving.

I've since learned and heard from MANY mamas and a handful of doctors that the push to get kids drinking milk at 1 is really an old campaign trying to combat the number of moms immediately hooking their kids on juice. Doc's have told me more than once that a well balanced food diet is more than enough and that dairy isn't as much of a necessity as we've been told it is.

So that's my take.

No soy here - just because I hate the way it made his poop smell and have heard about other negatives there as well. Just water.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)