Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Every Child is Unique

By TruthfulMommy on Jul. 21, 2014 at 10:45 AM

It's almost that time of year again, back-to-school. Each year, my girls look forward to going back-to-school shopping. Let's be honest, my girls look forward to shopping period but back-to-school is special to them because they go to a school where they have to wear uniforms. The only way they can express their own individual style is through their hair, socks, shoes, jewelry and school supplies because their uniforms all look the same. It sounds like such a small thing but I've learned that these back-to-school shopping trips are very important to my girls.

It's all about the tiny details when we shop back-to-school. Sure every back-to-school shopping list has pencils and folders and backpacks and lunchboxes and these things seem unimportant in the grand scheme of things to the average student but when it's your only way to let your own personal sense of style shine through, it becomes a really big deal. So we spend a few days each summer shopping for accessories like it's our job and we have a great time doing it together

The other day the girls and I headed to Target to get a jump on our accessory shopping and did the girls have a ball. People think my girls look alike because they are both tall with long blonde hair and blue eyes. I don't see it but there are even teachers at their school who call them twins. They go to the same school, share a lot of the same friends and do all the same activities so their identities are really wrapped up in one another. They like that but at the same time, they want to be seen as themselves.  I get that. Nobody wants to be somebody else's shadow or someone else's expectation to live up to.

It's fun to see where their little imaginations take them when let loose in a department store and in these moments is when I can really see how different they are from one another. My little one is in to animal prints and boho chic while my older one is into peace signs, chevron and more preppy choices. I love to watch them shop and develop their own style. I like the fierce independence that I see in them while looking for pieces to make their uniform "pop". To the outsider it looks like kids just choosing pieces to wear for back-to-school but I know how very meticulously sought after and coordinated each piece is to their personality.

For them, it's exciting to pick out funky shoes or ankle socks with white cuffs but hidden animal prints on the part that is covered by shoes. Headbands, socks and even underwear have become expressive pieces of their outfit. They find ways to shine in these little pieces of themselves that give the world glimpses into their personality.  In a sea of navy and red, a pair of funky boots or a retro neon hair bow or even the exact perfect pair of dangly earrings can make you stand out.

Just like in life, for us, in back-to-school, the little things, the things that would normally go unnoticed, set us apart from the group. The sparkle is what helps us to shine from the inside out.  

How does your child show their individual style in their back-to-school choices?

TruthfulMommy About :
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
  • Barabell
  • by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 11:15 PM
  • My son has his own style. Last school year, he mainly wore colored jeans, a solid shirt, and then a plaid flannel shirt during cooler months.

I let him chose is own clothes.

• Quote Reply
  • SarahSuzyQ
  • by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 7:38 AM
  • My son is really into fashion, and he often goes for a certain "look". He has a whole set of athletic clothing that he wears when he wants to have bball player style, and a whole other set of khaki and plaid outfits to contribute to his hipster look. Even the sunglasses are carefully planned.

It's pretty funny to me, as I'm someone who doesn't spend much time or energy on fashion... But I just let him new himself!
  • Quote Reply
  • PeachQuean
  • by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 8:12 AM
  • My 12 and 6 yr old and even my 2 1/2 yr old (all girls) dress the same 9well close ) to the same. 

They are very girly witha touch of tom boy. They like to wear pretty dresses with boys (stereotypical boys items) like shoes and hats and t-shirts etc.....

My oldest developed that style as a toddler and the other girls just followed suit with her. I think its very cute and my kids have been teased for it and yet they still dress that way. lol

• Quote Reply
  • mrswillie
  • by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 8:16 AM
  • Dad loves under armour. We have a consignment shoo around here that sells it.

Quoting johnny4ever:

My son wants a Under-Armour shirt and I refuse to pay all that $$.

• Quote Reply
  • mrswillie
  • by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 8:17 AM
  • When Ds was in preschool he loved anything from Bugs Life.

Quoting momofnatalie:

DD is preschool and right now so she loves buying anything with Elsa from Frozen on it. 

• Quote Reply
  • mrswillie
  • by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 8:19 AM
  • He sounds like my so. As my Ds got older the taste go way to expensive but now he buys his own clothes. Thankfully we have an upscale consignment shop here. They sell name brand for a lot less. Ds accorded a pair of authentic Gucci sunglasses for about $50.

Quoting SarahSuzyQ: My son is really into fashion, and he often goes for a certain "look". He has a whole set of athletic clothing that he wears when he wants to have bball player style, and a whole other set of khaki and plaid outfits to contribute to his hipster look. Even the sunglasses are carefully planned.

It's pretty funny to me, as I'm someone who doesn't spend much time or energy on fashion... But I just let him new himself!
  • Quote Reply
  • TruthfulMommy
  • by Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 8:49 AM
  • How adorable. My girls are 7 & 9 and they still love Frozen. We waited in line for 4 hours at Disney over spring break. It was a crazy amount of time to wait for a princess but to see the smiles on my girls' faces were priceless. Hey, you are only 7 & 9 once, right?

• Quote Reply
  • SarahSuzyQ
  • by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 8:49 AM
  • I could definitely see my son getting into fashion like this. As it is, he's very conscious of brands for a 6yo... But our budget only goes so far, so we talk often about how to be both frugal and fashionable!

Quoting mrswillie: He sounds like my so. As my Ds got older the taste go way to expensive but now he buys his own clothes. Thankfully we have an upscale consignment shop here. They sell name brand for a lot less. Ds accorded a pair of authentic Gucci sunglasses for about $50.

Quoting SarahSuzyQ: My son is really into fashion, and he often goes for a certain "look". He has a whole set of athletic clothing that he wears when he wants to have bball player style, and a whole other set of khaki and plaid outfits to contribute to his hipster look. Even the sunglasses are carefully planned.

• Quote Reply
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN