Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Are You and Your Significant Other on the Same Page?

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2014 at 9:58 AM
  • 113 Replies

Saturday, my DH, my son and I, along with our realtor went house hunting. I know what I want in a home, my husband knows what he wants and of course my 9 year old has an opinion as well.

For the most part, my DH and I agree on what we are looking for, or so I thought. As the day went on it was obvious that we are further apart than we realized.

I prefer a new build. The home we just sold was a new build. I want to be able to choose the paint color, the tile, backsplash and fixtures etc. To really make it my own. My husband doesn't mind a new build but he prefers a bit of an older home with 'character'. One that is already settled and may have the features he wants like mature trees and landscape in an established neighborhood.

We pretty much agree on the interior of the home as far as how many bedrooms we want, square footage, etc.. I just wish we could come to some type of middle ground. It's kind of hard to do when neither of us wants to compromise. haha

Do you and your significant other compromise when making major decisions? How so?

by on Jul. 21, 2014 at 9:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mmtosam06
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 10:16 AM
Yes we both want a home with character and also in an established neighborhood
jenesis509
by Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 10:18 AM
We usually do very well compromising. We normally talk about things ahead of time but if we hit a bimo we talk some more. Usually we hit some kind of middle ground or both come up with a very thorough reason to our argument and decide whos we like better lol.
Ravynsangel
by Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 10:20 AM
Our most recent compromise was he wanted a diesel quad cab truck am I wanted a suv so we compromised we got a diesel suv
waytomanykids10
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 10:21 AM
Both my husband and I like an older fixer upper. Other then that my husband doesn't really care about anything else. As long as he has things to fix he is happy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Jul. 21, 2014 at 10:21 AM

That is great. Are you in the market for a new home anytime soon?

Quoting mmtosam06: Yes we both want a home with character and also in an established neighborhood

SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 10:22 AM

We do. When we were looking for a home, I wanted new, he wanted established. I wanted on the ocean, he didn't because of the upkeep. We looked at this house and both fell in love with it. It was 10 years old, with a very modern open floor plan. On the river with a boatdock. When it came to furniture, he wanted very dark, heavy wood-Early American. I wanted very light, bleached wood   caribbean beach style. We decided on a medium tone, classic style. He wanted everything painted white, I wanted bold colors. We settled on gray for living areas and pastel tones for bedrooms (He found he liked a little color and they are now caramel in living areas, Tiffany blue, rust and gold in bedrooms). We're still happy with our choices.

Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Jul. 21, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Normally we do too. I thought we were on the same page, but as the day went on and we were seeing different homes, it became apparent we need to talk more...haha

Quoting jenesis509: We usually do very well compromising. We normally talk about things ahead of time but if we hit a bimo we talk some more. Usually we hit some kind of middle ground or both come up with a very thorough reason to our argument and decide whos we like better lol.

jenesis509
by Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 10:25 AM
Makes sense haha we do that too. Like with our car choices. We are on the look of a new car.

Quoting Cafe MichelleP:

Normally we do too. I thought we were on the same page, but as the day went on and we were seeing different homes, it became apparent we need to talk more...haha

Quoting jenesis509: We usually do very well compromising. We normally talk about things ahead of time but if we hit a bimo we talk some more. Usually we hit some kind of middle ground or both come up with a very thorough reason to our argument and decide whos we like better lol.

ladybugchick317
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 10:26 AM

We do compromise but we did find out this weekend that we were farther apart than we thought and did a lot of reconnecting with each other and the kids this weekend. Hope you find the perfect home for all of you.

SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 10:27 AM

That's a good compromise. Have you had a diesel before?

Quoting Ravynsangel: Our most recent compromise was he wanted a diesel quad cab truck am I wanted a suv so we compromised we got a diesel suv

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN