Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Preparing for Back to School Shopping Adventures.

By YvonneMarieV on Jul. 21, 2014 at 1:40 PM

Back to School Shopping for my daughter has always been quite the adventure. She's very, how can I put this, particular? Picky? Dramatic?  She doesn't like clothes that are too tight, or too loose, or too frilly or that make her "look like a cowgirl" (WHAT?) and now we can add "too little girl-ish because I'm almost  ten years old, Mom!"  Can you relate?  If so, I want to help you!

Over the next eight week, I plan to share tips and ideas for making your back to school shopping experience one that doesn't leave you frustrated or your little one in tears. (Has that ever happened to you while  back to school shopping? Am I alone here?)

I'll start with a couple of  things that I've already done in preparation for The Big Back To School Shopping Adventure, which for us begins next week.

• Out with the old- set an afternoon aside to go through all of your child's clothes and shoes and determine what no longer fits. This can actually be a fun experience for both of you and at the end of the process, you'll have a nice pile of clothing that you can either donate to charity (or give to a family friend, which is what we did.) 
  • Make a list-- Now that you've cleared out the things that no longer fit, you can begin to make a list of what your child will need.  Make sure you make a list that you both agree on so there aren't any surprises when you're out shopping. It's also important to discuss budget while making this list. 

That's where I'm at right now. I will have more to share with you soon!

What do you do to prepare for back to school shopping? Do you have any advice or tips you can share?  

YvonneMarieV About :
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
  • TristanMitchael
  • by Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 2:24 PM
  • My main goal is to get 5 complete outfits and a new pair of shoes. They usually have clothes from the previous year they can use so I'm not going to shell out money for a whole new wardrobe just because its a new school year. Oh, and of course they get a new backpack/lunch box each year.
  • Quote Reply
  • Barabell
  • by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 11:19 PM
  • We usually shop for clothes as they become worn or outgrown.

With that being said, the back to school sales are a good time to stock up on underwear and socks at a cheap price. There are good sneaker sales this time of year too.

I found last year that Black Friday week provided better clothes sales than the back to school sales, so that's a good week to get winter clothes, like down jackets and jeans.

• Quote Reply
  • Barabell
  • by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 11:20 PM
  • You buy a new backpack every year? I only buy a new backpack every two or three years.

Quoting TristanMitchael: My main goal is to get 5 complete outfits and a new pair of shoes. They usually have clothes from the previous year they can use so I'm not going to shell out money for a whole new wardrobe just because its a new school year. Oh, and of course they get a new backpack/lunch box each year.

• Quote Reply
  • TristanMitchael
  • by Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 12:05 AM
  • Last year I think we went through 3 backpacks! The first one the zipper broke so I just got him a small cheap backpack, that one got a hole it in so he got a new one after that. And that one the characters are really faded on it. He goes through shoes like crazy too!

Quoting Barabell:

You buy a new backpack every year? I only buy a new backpack every two or three years.

Quoting TristanMitchael: My main goal is to get 5 complete outfits and a new pair of shoes. They usually have clothes from the previous year they can use so I'm not going to shell out money for a whole new wardrobe just because its a new school year. Oh, and of course they get a new backpack/lunch box each year.

• Quote Reply
  • SarahSuzyQ
  • by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 7:41 AM
  • We buy LLBean backpacks on sale, and I've never had one break... Both when I was in college, and more with DS. He's had the same one for two and a half years now, and it has a funky shark print so he really likes it.

I know they cost more up front, but they are super rugged. My son is also hard on shoes, and I haven't found anything comparable... So yeah, we do buy those often! ;-)

Quoting TristanMitchael: Last year I think we went through 3 backpacks! The first one the zipper broke so I just got him a small cheap backpack, that one got a hole it in so he got a new one after that. And that one the characters are really faded on it. He goes through shoes like crazy too!

Quoting Barabell:

You buy a new backpack every year? I only buy a new backpack every two or three years.

• Quote Reply
  • SarahSuzyQ
  • by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 7:43 AM
  • We go through my son's clothing seasonally, and we have several friends to whom we give hand me downs... Just did this recently, actually.

For school clothing, I always let him choose a new first day outfit. Otherwise there are usually plenty of things that fit from last year. I'm another person who tends to buy clothes as he needs them, rather than all at once.
  • Quote Reply
  • mrswillie
  • by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 8:13 AM
  • Mine got shoes when they needed them rather than at the beginning of the year. As they got older I would buy clothes on sale and clearance so we didn't do much shopping at the beginning of the school year.

• Quote Reply
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN