Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

how to get my daughter to sleep in her new toddler bed?

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 4:03 PM
  • 42 Replies
just got it last weekend she's been sleeping in the bed with us every since
by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 4:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SlightlyPerfect
by Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 4:33 PM
1 mom liked this

My advice? Stop giving in to her. Tough shit. You sleep in this bed. We sleep in this bed. And that's just how reality works for you.

I guarantee the first few nights will be hell, and you'll be so tired you'll want to kill yourself. But after that, your kid will sleep in her own bed. DD is 5 and hasn't requested sleeping with us since she was 2 because of the time I invested in this. So trust me. It sucks initially, but it's worth it in the long-term.

waytomanykids10
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 7:15 PM

I'm the worst for advice on this subject. I can't get my 8yo dd out of our bed, lol. We put her in her own bed after she falls asleep and 20-30 minutes later we are jumping out of bed to go get her before her screaming wakes up the whole household.

AkashaGermaine
by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 7:19 PM
Is your room big enough to put the toddler bed next to your bed? My ds's bed is next to mine. Last night was the first night he spent in it all night long! His first night without nursing was 2 weeks ago Monday. It was hard, every time he came up into my bed I just put him back down into his and kept my had on his back until he fell asleep
goddessmom3113
by Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 7:54 PM
she normally sleeps in her own room and bed but was her crib. toddler bed is brand new to her she is 16 months old.
momofnatalie
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 9:21 PM

Maybe she is not ready yet.  Do you need the crib for another child coming?  If not, I would suggest you leave her in the crib.  If you do need it, I would buy sheets of characters that she likes and see if she would like it.

Quoting goddessmom3113: she normally sleeps in her own room and bed but was her crib. toddler bed is brand new to her she is 16 months old.

goddessmom3113
by Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 10:11 PM
we have the sheets and bedding just not here waiting for it to arrive for her it may take some time i agree she's still teething as well may have another factor in it too
hugss
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:06 AM

Try putting her in it for naps maybe to start?
Good luck & let us know how that goes ;)

melindabelcher
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 5:21 AM
We started all the kiddos around 18mo.
First it was just for naps. Then they would start the night in their own bed and once they woke up they would come in ours. It is def a slower process. As LO sleeps through the night and gradually gets used to the views from their bed they sleep longer and better.
I don't move kiddos out of a crib until closer to 3 because IMO they lack the maturity of decision making so to not get into trouble.
I also wonder if waiting until after teething would be a better idea
goddessmom3113
by Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 9:25 AM
we will keep the crib just in case we may need it but as of now no other baby yet
clairewait
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 10:08 AM

Do you have a bedtime routine?

My kids have never been in our bed and as far as they know, it has never been an option. I'm also sort of in the tough love camp on this one.

We transitioned from crib to twin bed by keeping everything else the same - the lighting, the fan, the bedtime, the routine. Mine never had an issue. We did read them a book called "Bye Bye Crib" or something (it's a good one) - but neither my first nor my 2nd ever struggled.

I'll be putting my son in a twin soon and he is not yet 2, because the new baby is due in a month. My plan is to put the bed against a wall and get a rail, and otherwise just do everything the same. We'll see how it goes. He's a good sleeper also - like the others. I hadn't really worried about it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)