Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

The Back-to-School Wishing Well

If I had a wishing well, I know what I would wish for.  I'd stand there with my eyes closed and handful of pennies. I'd take a deep breath and drop them in one by one...

I'd wish that on his first day of school that he smiles walking into the building and says, "Bye, mom" as he runs off to play. No fear. No hesitation. Only excitement for a new adventure. 

I'd wish that my son's teacher sees him the way that I do - a sweet and smart little boy with infinite potential.  I hope she thinks he's as funny as I do. I hope she sees his sensitivities and respects them.  I hope her words are kind and her patience is infinite.

I'd wish for him to look forward to school days. That would make it easier on my mama heart, for sure.

I'd wish for the other kids at school to see the potential for friendship with him. He's an excellent friend once he feels comfortable. I hope that they will be kind and talk to him. I hope that they will find his silliness endearing and fun.

I'd wish for his therapists and teachers to connect with him and engage him in challenging work. He's a smarty pants and he knows when someone is phoning it in. Ask me how I know.

I'd wish that this new school is a safe place for all kiddos who come there.

I'd wish that when my boy needs space that they are open to giving it to him.

I'd wish that he doesn't get paints on his new clothes or dirt on his new shoes. OK, maybe just for the first few days. And speaking of new shoes, I'd wish that he won't outgrow them too fast!

And finally I'd wish something for me. I'd wish for calm, steady hands. I'd wish for strength to let him fly away just a little bit further. I'd wish for my tears to hang back for a few extra minutes on that first day of school so that I can make it back to the car before they overflow.

OK, I think that's it. I'm sure I could come up with more but now it's YOUR turn...

What wishes do you have for your child this school year? 

Image © iStock.com/Catherine Lane

TheFamilyPants About :
Replies (51-53):
  • SweetLuci
  • by Bronze Member on Aug. 9, 2014 at 8:11 AM
  •  I'd wish for things to go well in her new school. High school can be daunting, and this is a special school for gifted and advanced kids. I hope she has a good experience like she did in her previous school. I hope she finds friends who are studious like she is, but also have a sense of adventure like she does.

• Quote Reply
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN