Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

When Does School Start?

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 1:58 AM
  • 52 Replies

In the weekend post, I noticed a few replies said their kids were going to school within the upcoming week. It surprised me because we still have a month before school starts.

When does school start again in your area (if you have school-aged kids)?

by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 1:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ambergem
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 2:02 AM

Our DS is starting K this year.  We haven't had great communication with the school about starting dates.  The website says "most grades" start on Sept 2nd.  I emailed the school today to follow-up. The school has really good ratings and it is very nice inside, but I wish they would be a little better about sending out communication, especially for first-time students.

“Mothers are all slightly insane.”
― J.D. SalingerThe Catcher in the Rye

going crazy

Barabell
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 2:08 AM

Have you tried the district website to see if it has a clearer calendar? My son's old school district had the better calendar on that website, as opposed to the school's website. 

In your case, I would assume the 3rd or the 4th. My son's elementary always had the kindergartners start a day or two after the rest of the students.

Quoting ambergem:

Our DS is starting K this year.  We haven't had great communication with the school about starting dates.  The website says "most grades" start on Sept 2nd.  I emailed the school today to follow-up. The school has really good ratings and it is very nice inside, but I wish they would be a little better about sending out communication, especially for first-time students.

ambergem
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 2:09 AM

I did and it only said the same thing on Sept 2nd "most grades" first day and no mention anywhere of specifics or other dates saying a different grade start date.

Ok, thanks.

Quoting Barabell:

Have you tried the district website to see if it has a clearer calendar? My son's old school district had the better calendar on that website, as opposed to the school's website. 

In your case, I would assume the 3rd or the 4th. My son's elementary always had the kindergartners start a day or two after the rest of the students.

Quoting ambergem:

going crazy

Uhura
by Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 2:10 AM

I don't have school aged kids, but I have younger siblings and a nephew who are in school, it starts the first full week of August.

CafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers 

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

raczac
by Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 2:14 AM
My kids start back August 4th and they are in 2nd and 4th grade. We are inb southern Kentucky.
Barabell
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 2:15 AM

That really is poor communication. We usually get a calendar for the whole school year, and it's clearly marked for all grades what the start and end dates are in addition to conferences and holidays.

I hope you get yours in the mail soon. We just got ours last week, but his school is returning on 8/25. So maybe you'll get it this week? I hope so!

Quoting ambergem:

I did and it only said the same thing on Sept 2nd "most grades" first day and no mention anywhere of specifics or other dates saying a different grade start date.

Ok, thanks.

Quoting Barabell:

Quoting ambergem:

ambergem
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 2:23 AM

Thanks.  I did just find the Kindergarten Handbook for the district, and it says that for K, Day 1 half of the class attends, then Day 2 the other half attends, and Day 3 all students attend.  It then says you will receive notification of which day to send your child on "in late summer" along with the packet with list of needed school supplies.  I guess that will be more late August by the sounds of it.

Quoting Barabell:

That really is poor communication. We usually get a calendar for the whole school year, and it's clearly marked for all grades what the start and end dates are in addition to conferences and holidays.

I hope you get yours in the mail soon. We just got ours last week, but his school is returning on 8/25. So maybe you'll get it this week? I hope so!

Quoting ambergem:

Ok, thanks.

Quoting Barabell:

Quoting ambergem:

going crazy

ambergem
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 2:25 AM

We also are signed up for the afternoon K, I found out after emailing to check.  They said "class sizes weren't determined yet." So I'm not sure if that's concrete or not. (We have half days for K), but I don't know the hours.  lol  I'm a SAHM, but I would want to know this info further out if I was working. They haven't responded to that question, but it looks like they don't have working days until August 25th.

Quoting Barabell:

Quoting ambergem:

Ok, thanks.

Quoting Barabell:

Quoting ambergem:

going crazy

IcHoKeOnNeRdZzZ
by Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 2:29 AM
The 31st
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
StreetsAhead
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 2:34 AM
1st September

We are still on week 1 of the holiday
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN