Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Helping kids get along piog

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:13 AM
  • 13 Replies
Any advice on how to help younger(2yos and 4yos) to get along? And share nicely when friends are in their home?
by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momtimesx4
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 10:32 AM

Hmm, not sure on that age range, then again I'm dealing with it with my 10 and almost 11 year old.  The latter just flung a Kindle at her brother.

melindabelcher
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 10:39 AM
Omg I'll take the thrown play food over a kindle!

Quoting momtimesx4:

Hmm, not sure on that age range, then again I'm dealing with it with my 10 and almost 11 year old.  The latter just flung a Kindle at her brother.

momtimesx4
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 10:41 AM

Quoting melindabelcher: Omg I'll take the thrown play food over a kindle!

So would I.  Sent DS out to play while DD sits in the corner for a while to think it over before we have a talk.

MaineMammax2
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 10:42 AM
Here's a bump because I want to know with my 7 & 3 year old girls how to do this!
melindabelcher
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 3:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol thanks :)
Glad to see my kiddos aren't the only ones :)

Quoting MaineMammax2: Here's a bump because I want to know with my 7 & 3 year old girls how to do this!
clairewait
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Set expectations before friends come. If they can't handle it, send friends home or don't have them over. Give it time and try again - set expectations again and explain consequences for not meeting them.

Preschool was pretty good for my kids' social skills. Most of it came from peer pressure and watching other kids, to be honest.

TristanMitchael
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 8:22 PM
I just take things away if they can't share. If they want it back they have to get a long first. Sometimes it works, sometimes I end up with a bunch of toys and upset kids...
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:20 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Silver Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 12:15 AM

Aww do they fight over things you mean?
Timne Outs may help :)

melindabelcher
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 6:22 AM
Yah. Our good friends have 4kids (5mo, 2yr, 4yr and 7yr) ours are (due in Oct, 2yr, 4yr and 6yr) the older two get along good.
The 2yos tease each other "you're not going" so they come running out crying that the other one told them they can't go (but no one is going anywhere!) Whatever the other one has the other one wants and will hit, scratch, bite and scream to get it. At their owns houses they are the worst with sharing anything.
The 4yos whine and scream over everything "she said she's keeping my toy" "she took xyz from me" "she said we can't both be a mommy" "I don't want to sit in that chair"
The adults get along great but it is so stressful to have kids fighting all the time. Some is just from differing parenting styles. I'm more of a neat/organized freak so my kids get upset if their friends mess up the room or don't put things away right (ie a kitchen toy in the barbie bucket) cause they know it will have to be fixed. Their friends have a couple toy buckets that everything goes into so they aren't used to assigned spaces and it frustrates them.
We have to figure out something because they are moving into the first floor of the three family we currently live in so it's going to be almost daily playing vs once a week.

Quoting hugss:

Aww do they fight over things you mean?Timne Outs may help :)

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:20 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Silver Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 8:34 AM

Sure hope it can be figured out .. does sound stressful ;(
Good luck & let us know what the plan is & if it works ;)

Quoting melindabelcher: Yah. Our good friends have 4kids (5mo, 2yr, 4yr and 7yr) ours are (due in Oct, 2yr, 4yr and 6yr) the older two get along good. The 2yos tease each other "you're not going" so they come running out crying that the other one told them they can't go (but no one is going anywhere!) Whatever the other one has the other one wants and will hit, scratch, bite and scream to get it. At their owns houses they are the worst with sharing anything. The 4yos whine and scream over everything "she said she's keeping my toy" "she took xyz from me" "she said we can't both be a mommy" "I don't want to sit in that chair" The adults get along great but it is so stressful to have kids fighting all the time. Some is just from differing parenting styles. I'm more of a neat/organized freak so my kids get upset if their friends mess up the room or don't put things away right (ie a kitchen toy in the barbie bucket) cause they know it will have to be fixed. Their friends have a couple toy buckets that everything goes into so they aren't used to assigned spaces and it frustrates them. We have to figure out something because they are moving into the first floor of the three family we currently live in so it's going to be almost daily playing vs once a week.
Quoting hugss:

Aww do they fight over things you mean?Timne Outs may help :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)