Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Mom Arrested For Letting Son Walk to Nearby Park Alone

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 12:19 PM
  • 51 Replies

What do you think about this?

'Totally dumbfounded': Mom arrested for letting her son, 7, walk to nearby park alone

3 hours ago

Nicole Gainey was charged by police after she permitted her 7-year-old son to walk to a local park alone near their home in Port St. Lucie, Florida. She has fought back since being charged with child neglect and told NBC affiliate WPTV on Wednesday morning that a Florida Department of Children and Families Services official told her to expect the case to be dropped. 

"I'm totally dumbfounded by this whole situation,'' Gainey told WPTV. "I honestly don't think I was doing anything wrong. I was letting him go play." 

Gainey allowed her son, Dominic, to take the 15-minute walk to Sportsman's Park in Port St. Lucie, a half mile from their home, on July 26. She said he has a cell phone that allowed her to check in regularly with him. 

Nicole Gainey, arrested for letting son got o park alone
TODAY
Mom Nicole Gainey says she didn't think she was doing anything wrong by letting her son walk to the park alone.

A person at a public pool along the route called police after speaking with Dominic and finding out he was unsupervised. The police picked him up and took him home, writing in the official report that he was alone and "numerous sex offenders reside in the vicinity" of the park. 

The TODAY anchors weighed in on whether it's appropriate to allow a 7-year-old to take an unsupervised trip to the park like that. 

"A half-mile, a 7-year-old?" Natalie Morales said. "My view, I am not OK [with it]." 

"I think it depends on your 7-year-old and the neighborhood you live in,'' Matt Lauer said. "If my kids are watching right now, their takeaway is going to be, 'Dominic's 7, and he has a cell phone?' I'm going to hear about that for months.''

by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 12:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bresmom13
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Wow, my personal opinion, she was in the wrong. I wont even let my teens walk up town, which is like 5 min. or across the street to speedway alone. What happens if something does happens to that child along the way? Not everyone gets involved when they see something they believe is wrong. I sometimes cring seeing ppls young children even outdoors alone playing, I live in a park and numberous times they are in the street not paying attention.

TristanMitchael
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:42 PM
Wow, its maybe a 5 minute walk from my house to the park and I would NEVER let my kid walk there alone. I was thinking she was going to be right across the street or something but not a 15 minute walk. Way to many things can happen in that short amount of time even if he has a cell phone. Bad guys aren't going to go "oh you have a cell phone? My bad"
EarlGrayHot
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:33 PM
2 moms liked this

What a moron.  That's what they all say- "but he had a cellphone," as if that would help himmwhen some pervert snatches him.  If you are not right there you cannot do anything for your kid in an emergency.  Being "nearby" is not the same. 

momofnatalie
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 5:27 PM

I agree, the times have changed a lot.  I wouldn't feel comfortable letting my 7 yr old go, there are some crazy people living out there. 

Quoting Bresmom13:

Wow, my personal opinion, she was in the wrong. I wont even let my teens walk up town, which is like 5 min. or across the street to speedway alone. What happens if something does happens to that child along the way? Not everyone gets involved when they see something they believe is wrong. I sometimes cring seeing ppls young children even outdoors alone playing, I live in a park and numberous times they are in the street not paying attention.

momofnatalie
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 5:29 PM

I know, if he was kidnapped, the phone wouldn't do him much good if they take it away from him. 

Quoting TristanMitchael: Wow, its maybe a 5 minute walk from my house to the park and I would NEVER let my kid walk there alone. I was thinking she was going to be right across the street or something but not a 15 minute walk. Way to many things can happen in that short amount of time even if he has a cell phone. Bad guys aren't going to go "oh you have a cell phone? My bad"

Elaflynts
by New Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 6:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I live in Port St. Lucie and I happen to have a 7 year old son and let me tell you- I would NEVER let my kid go anywhere alone! Much less a half mile down the road to play unsupervised! It only takes one sick person to take advantage of seeing this kid. Besides worrying about other people, what if he got hurt or something? Fell off the monkey bars or got hit by a car?  It makes me so angry that this woman really thought this was ok!

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:16 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 12:03 AM

I guess but my how times have changed :(

Bresmom13
by Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 7:39 AM

Quoting momofnatalie:

I agree, the times have changed a lot.  I wouldn't feel comfortable letting my 7 yr old go, there are some crazy people living out there. 

Quoting Bresmom13:

We just had a 14 yr old killed in a park day before. My oldest are almost 13, 16 and almost 18. They have to go with someone if they are going far enough away from the house.

TheJerseyGirl
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 7:40 AM

I would never have done it...At 7 I was with my kids EVERYWHERE. Too much can happens these days!

TheJerseyGirl
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 7:42 AM

I just saw it said 15 minutes away! No way, lady! You were WRONG!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)