Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

blood is thicker than water?

Posted by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 12:16 PM
  • 21 Replies
So my 14yo nephew is visiting. He and my daughter (18) have always had a bit of a friendly rivalry, one upping each other etc.

My dd has severe ocd, not an excuse for being arrogant but it has become a defense mechanism. Her cousin knows about her issues and has his own.

At the pool he met a boy his age, my dd was messing with them about how she is a sr and they are freshmen....
My nephew , thinking no one could hear, told this boy "she's a bitch" about my dd.

It's been bugging the crap outta me, my dd would never say something about him like that esp to a practical stranger. She would defend him if anything.

Would you say something to your nephew or let it go?
by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 12:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momofmenagerie
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 12:53 PM
2 moms liked this
I think it comes down to a simple one sided conversation the next time you see him... Quietly. " you know, I heard what you told your friend about ____.
You were probably just showing off, however, it falls into the category of things you just never call women... Ones you are related to it otherwise.

It would be in your best interest as you get older to learn that there are words you just don't use.

Perhaps you feel she laid it on a little thick, but you know she'd defend you to the very end if you needed her. I don't want to hear from you or your friends that you spoken of her or any girl like that. Not because she's my daughter , but because it shows a lack of respect for all women.

And walk away.
JodyLane555
by Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 12:57 PM
Would you tell the parents?
Momofmenagerie
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 1:06 PM
Mmmm, it depends . I probably wouldn't as the issue did not include them.

However, if his games or music choices or friends have taught him that derogatory remarks are okay , maybe ... But you don't really know if that lingo is okay in their house. If it is, you 'll be accused of over reacting.

I really think I'd leave it between you two. Someone else can have more of an influence than a parent over these types of things.

Parents start to sound like the parents on Snoopy at this age..., a different voice can have a larger affect sometimes

Quoting JodyLane555: Would you tell the parents?
melliburger
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 1:49 AM

Oh dear :/ I would say something if it's really bugging you.

SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 10:22 PM

I think this would be a great way to handle it.

Quoting Momofmenagerie: I think it comes down to a simple one sided conversation the next time you see him... Quietly. " you know, I heard what you told your friend about ____. You were probably just showing off, however, it falls into the category of things you just never call women... Ones you are related to it otherwise. It would be in your best interest as you get older to learn that there are words you just don't use. Perhaps you feel she laid it on a little thick, but you know she'd defend you to the very end if you needed her. I don't want to hear from you or your friends that you spoken of her or any girl like that. Not because she's my daughter , but because it shows a lack of respect for all women. And walk away.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/supportive group :)
Today at 12:26 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Aug. 3, 2014 at 12:04 AM

this ;)

Quoting Momofmenagerie: I think it comes down to a simple one sided conversation the next time you see him... Quietly. " you know, I heard what you told your friend about ____. You were probably just showing off, however, it falls into the category of things you just never call women... Ones you are related to it otherwise. It would be in your best interest as you get older to learn that there are words you just don't use. Perhaps you feel she laid it on a little thick, but you know she'd defend you to the very end if you needed her. I don't want to hear from you or your friends that you spoken of her or any girl like that. Not because she's my daughter , but because it shows a lack of respect for all women. And walk away.

Purgatorian
by on Aug. 3, 2014 at 9:27 PM
2 moms liked this

Seriously? If you say anything about it then you're going to be labeled as a bitch too.  What business is his conversation with his friend of yours?

None.

He has every right to think your daughter's a bitch and call her one if he wants. It sounds like it was a private conversation.

Butt out.

kwhitney333
by on Aug. 3, 2014 at 10:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Butt out! Technically you were eves dropping. As for your question, my opinion is, "blood is not thicker than water"....Just remember,  you can pick your friends not your relatives....

KeepOnTryin
by on Aug. 3, 2014 at 10:26 PM
No.

Quoting JodyLane555: Would you tell the parents?
momofnatalie
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 1:33 AM
1 mom liked this

If it was my nephew I would tell him I overheard the conversation.  I wouldn't go off on him but just tell him that it hurt your feelings and move on. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN