Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Did you encounter any "delivery day" problems no one told you about?

Posted by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 1:20 PM
  • 21 Replies

The Stir is looking for stories from moms on "delivery day" problems no one told you about. For instance, what problems did you feel surprised or blindsided by on your big day? For instance, did you have no idea that they couldn't give you an epidural if you were very dilated, which made you really wish you came to the hospital earlier? Did no one warn you that you might poop during delivery? Or get dry mouth? Or that you couldn't eat or drink anything once you were at the hospital so you wished you'd eaten a big meal before you came? Share your story for an upcoming article so other moms will know what to expect! Thanks so much.

by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 1:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sonshining
by Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 1:37 PM

I guess mine could be a delivery day story but is mostly about unfamiliarity with the delivery itself. So I went into labor yet (my first and only delivery) didn't know I was in labor. My water didn't break, I really didn't feel like the baby had dropped, so I wasn't sure. Besides contractions, all I really felt was I had to poop BAD. I just felt like once I went, I'd be fine, or at least better. I took a laxative trying to go, nothing. My Mom drives me to hospital because she suspected I was in labor. I was anticipating front, uterus pains and again all I felt was pain pushing my rear end. I get there to be told I was dilated 7-8 already! What? I'm that far? I told the nurse I only feel rear end pain, she said "that's a special labor pain, like back labor, it's anal labor pains." GREAT, I'm special, thank you very much!

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 5:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I had no idea that it could still take 24 hrs for a 42 week 2 day baby to come out.  You'd think she'd be more than ready to get out!

melliburger
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 1:54 AM

I can't think of anything right now. My friend told me a lot of things which prepared me pretty well.

wandep
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 11:26 AM

I can't think of anything. That was so long ago. LOL

Alisa_W
by New Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 11:41 AM
I had never heard about women tearing and I had never thought about it either, until the doctor told me I tore to a 4.
MamawTrain
by New Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 12:00 PM
I was 17, been to prenatal classes and for some reason didn't realize labor would be painful. B-)
Genuinesweetie
by on Aug. 2, 2014 at 12:14 PM

I didn't realize that I would have all kinds of stuff strapped to me. Like baby heart monitors, my heart monitor, needles, IV's and beeping sounds constantly. It was really aggrevating so I made sure next time I would have a midwife and I did. 

mommyeenie
by Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 12:24 PM

well i went to the hospital beause i was having really painful contractions every 2 mins. but nothing was happening so my midwife decided to induce me the next day (it was 7pm) so she put the iv and everything i was all hooked up. my husband went to get us some food since i had not eating since around noon the nurse came in and said sorry since your admitted  you cant eat anything all you can have is ice chips... really i was pissed because the inducing wasnt gunna start till around 9ish in the morning i had more then enough time. but what ever so i didnt eat and then later the next day around dinner time a different doctor came in to check me and said theres no way you have made any process well she checked i was a 6 so she broke my water. i told her i wanted something for pain since i knew once they break your water the pain gets worst she told i have to sit on a birthing ball for 30 mins well that turned into an hr then told me well we have to push more water thru first then you can well after close to an hr i was screaming for the doctor to give me an epidural but she never came to check on me or anything. then finaly the nurse got the person to come give my the epidural but i couldnt sit up she checked and my daughter was ready to come out.(doctor told me iv be in hard labor for over 12 hours and then push for 3 to 4 hours) i pushed for maybe 10 mins and out comes my beautiful daughter tho they told me i had a son.. needless to say for my next one im going to a different doctors office and going to have my doctor there

otoole
by on Aug. 2, 2014 at 3:58 PM
That sounds like you had some crazy experience. It's like they forgot about you completely and didn't have a clue what they were doing.

Quoting mommyeenie:

well i went to the hospital beause i was having really painful contractions every 2 mins. but nothing was happening so my midwife decided to induce me the next day (it was 7pm) so she put the iv and everything i was all hooked up. my husband went to get us some food since i had not eating since around noon the nurse came in and said sorry since your admitted  you cant eat anything all you can have is ice chips... really i was pissed because the inducing wasnt gunna start till around 9ish in the morning i had more then enough time. but what ever so i didnt eat and then later the next day around dinner time a different doctor came in to check me and said theres no way you have made any process well she checked i was a 6 so she broke my water. i told her i wanted something for pain since i knew once they break your water the pain gets worst she told i have to sit on a birthing ball for 30 mins well that turned into an hr then told me well we have to push more water thru first then you can well after close to an hr i was screaming for the doctor to give me an epidural but she never came to check on me or anything. then finaly the nurse got the person to come give my the epidural but i couldnt sit up she checked and my daughter was ready to come out.(doctor told me iv be in hard labor for over 12 hours and then push for 3 to 4 hours) i pushed for maybe 10 mins and out comes my beautiful daughter tho they told me i had a son.. needless to say for my next one im going to a different doctors office and going to have my doctor there

JanetteA
by on Aug. 2, 2014 at 4:13 PM

Here's what nobody told me.

1.  How gross you would feel afterwards.  And how hard it was to take that first shower unassisted.

2.  How painful the after pains can be.  (Seriously, mine were as painful as labor.)

3.  How painful latching on can be, especially if you are a newbie.

4.  How you should have a watch on your wrist.  (The nurses tell you to nurse 10 minutes per side, and there's not a clock on the wall.  Or they will ask you how low since you last went to the bathroom, and you have no idea.)

5.  If you have a C-section, you won't be allowed to eat solid foods until after you've passed gas.  That could be days.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)