Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Should kids with asperber syndrome know they're different?

Posted by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 9:56 PM
  • 17 Replies
My relatives are trying to do every single thing possible for their son not to know he is different. They are in denial... He is bullied in school a lot for being different and call him names. He is 15 now.
Would you tell your kid he is different?
I would.
by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 9:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BrandiGra
by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 10:03 PM
My son knows. It's something he needs to know so when we are teaching him what he is doing wrong and how to do it correctly it's not because he is stupid or a spaz . It's because he had a disorder and some things don't come as naturally to him as it does to other kids or he learns differently than other kids.
Angelmevans
by Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 12:33 AM
I have a child with aspergers and we have not told him yet but will tell him. He is 7 years old and his therapist said that at his age he would not understand. I think the child has a right to know because they are already aware that they are different then their peers. I feel it is very disservice to the child

Why do they not want the child to know?
realmmy24
by on Aug. 2, 2014 at 1:10 AM

My daughter knows she has it. I tell her it means she thinks different than others. Shes not different than other kids physically. She just has a different running brain. I do not allow her to use it as an excuse. shes 7.

melliburger
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 2:06 AM

I would explain everything to them.

MixedCooke
by Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 3:29 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm a loner. I can be at a party full of people and just go and find a place to be alone. Do I have aspergers? No I just like to be alone. We all think differently. My daughter has autism. Am I going to tell her she has autism or am I going to teach her to manage her symptoms instead of take on society's label of her?? I'm going to teach her to be more than she ever imagined she could be, to shatter glass ceilings everywhere, to never stop believing in herself!!
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 12:49 PM
Yes, it is only fair to the child to rell them if they can understand
Jerichos_Mommy
by Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 4:43 PM
Yes he should know. Look at this way if child knows they are different and why they are better able to deal with it and maybe even help others understand and dealwith it too.
SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 8:29 PM

I think it's being unfair not to tell him. He most likely already knows, and the parents aren't helping by acting like it's not a problem, but I doubt there's much you can do in this situation, except talk to them in a kind and non-judgemental way.

momofnatalie
by Silver Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 10:50 PM

I think its more important for the child to be told in a way that they understand and that they understand that people may not have the same reasoning as them and it doesn't mean that they are not capable of reaching their goals and dreams.  I've worked with many kids with aspergers when I was a school counselor and when they reach the middle school level where I worked, it was so important to have good support in place so that the student could navigate through situations without being singled out.  I remember one student whose parents would not acknowledge he might have something wrong until 6th grade and finally got the diagnosis of Aspergers.  They did not explain it to him in a way he understood, he said " I have Aspergers" but could not know what that meant.  Needless to say we had a lot of work trying to help him get through the day without verbally arguing with anyone who disagreed with him or getting in trouble with the teachers when he would not let go of a certain topic of discussion. 

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:59 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Aug. 3, 2014 at 12:00 AM

I would explain it all to him,
Epseically at his age.
How sad he is being bullied ;(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN