Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Is It Ever Okay For a Man to Hit a Woman?

Posted by on Aug. 2, 2014 at 9:40 AM
  • 24 Replies

It's Never OK for a Man to Hit a Woman -- No Matter What Whoopi Goldberg Says

by Jenny Erikson

Whoopi GoldbergWhoopi Goldberg made the news again for saying something that could be considered derogatory toward women. Last week, ESPN host Stephen A. Smith made some very controversial comments about how women may provoke men to domestic violence. He apologized on Monday, but rather than just leaving it alone, Whoopi defended his original remarks on The View this week.

She said that women should not be surprised to be hit by a man if they are the first ones to strike. "If you hit somebody, you cannot be sure you are not going to get hit back!" she said.

Wow. Did she really just advocate for violence against women? Jenny McCarthy and guest co-host Sunny Hostin immediately pushed back, saying Goldberg was blaming the victim, but the she wouldn't be persuaded.

She did insist that no one should be hitting anyone, but also said:

If you make the choice as a woman who’s four foot three and you decide to hit a guy who’s six feet tall and you’re the last thing he wants to deal with that day and he hits you back, you cannot be surprised!

I'm not even sure where to go with this. First let's make the caveat that domestic abuse can happen to anyone -- male or female, and it should always be taken seriously.

But let's dive into the idea that it seems to be perfectly acceptable in Whoopi Goldberg's world for a six-foot man to hit a four-foot-three woman in any way, shape, or form. It doesn't matter what that lady does, he is much bigger, and more likely than not, much stronger than her. Should she have hit him in the first place? No. Does she deserve to be hit? Absolutely not.

If for some reason, this fictitious female is a bit psycho, and goes full throttle attacking her man, he has every right to pin her down with necessary force until she's subdued or backups arrive, but none of that involves hitting her.

It is never OK to hit another person, even if they hit you first. Same thing goes for women -- if you're hit, you have every right to defend yourself, but retaliation is a whole 'nother thing.

Do you think it's ever OK or acceptable for a man to hit a woman?

by on Aug. 2, 2014 at 9:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mcginnisc
by Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Do I think it's acceptable? No...however, I don't think a woman should strike a man either. 

That said, I don't think she is victim blaming..she said if a woman strikes a man, she should not be surprised if he strikes her back...she never said anything other than don't be surprised if it happens. I don't find that to be victim blaming at all. 

I agree with her...If I struck someone, I would expect to be hit back...it's the law of averages. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

sissy852
by Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 9:52 AM

i agree if a woman hits a man he has a right to defend himself.

Quoting mcginnisc:

Do I think it's acceptable? No...however, I don't think a woman should strike a man either. 

That said, I don't think she is victim blaming..she said if a woman strikes a man, she should not be surprised if he strikes her back...she never said anything other than don't be surprised if it happens. I don't find that to be victim blaming at all. 

I agree with her...If I struck someone, I would expect to be hit back...it's the law of averages. 

DACIA79
by Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 9:54 AM
I have all boys so perhaps I'm bias. I agree that if you harm someone boy, girl, cat , dog accept the possibility that you might get attacked.

I teach my kids not to hit others unless they need to defend themselves then all bets are off.
hotmamma300
by on Aug. 2, 2014 at 10:09 AM
Absolutely no it is not ok for a man to hit a woman. I was in a bad marriage where he was 20years older than I was and very abusive . And because I was so in love with him I kept believing he would change.It took me to get pregnant with his child and ,to realize his older sons were exactly like him and when our son was 1year and 1 month I finally left. Since then I have divorced him and moved back to Nebraska.And have been doing great with my son by myself.I am totally against a man hitting a woman .
othermom
by Silver Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 10:32 AM

I don't think anyone should hit any one, but if a women is hitting a man then yes she may get hit back and I wouldn't blame the man, he has a right to defend himself

MixedCooke
by Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 11:36 AM
Yep regarding the whole women hitting a man and expecting him not to hit her back. Frankly I consider hitting based on its intent such as to strike to really hurt versus a push to back off. Any animal that's cornered is going to lash out, no matter their gender.
GarysGirl85
by Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 11:40 AM
No one should hit anyone but if someone is attacked first, male or female, then they have the right to defend themselves.
Grnyann65
by New Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 11:45 AM
2 moms liked this

I agree with what Whoopie said. I do not agree with what her words were twisted into.....

LesleyJane
by New Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 11:46 AM
We're always so quick to blame the man and say how wrong he is for hitting a woman. I think if a woman hits a man first he has every right to hit her back. A close male friend of mine was hit by his GF on more than one occasion. He finally hit her back then called the cops and she was arrested.
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 12:53 PM
No
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)