Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Who Buys Your School Supplies?

Posted by   + Show Post

I know many Dads who do as much around the house as their wives do - as does my husband - but when it comes to buying school supplies, I happily take on that task. I've always loved buying school (or office supplies). New pens, new paper, and usually something that I don't really "need" but that makes me smile.

I know that some Moms prefer to buy their kids' school supplies on a solo-shopping trip, but I always bring my three kids with me. They love getting new supplies, they love checking everything off of their lists, and they love picking out little things that make them smile.

We went to Target last week, and my kids were like, well, kids in a candy store. My eldest "needed" a rainbow pack of Sharpies, by middle child chose as many green (literally) supplies as he could (it's his favorite color), and my daughter found a little chalk board that she could color herself and I simply couldn't say no. We got everything on their lists (and mine), plus something that made each of us smile a little brighter.

Who buys school supplies in your house? Do you go solo, or take your "helpers" with you?

AngellaD About :
Replies (51-57):
  • Momofmenagerie
  • by Bronze Member on Aug. 8, 2014 at 2:03 AM
  • I do it , and the kiddos come along. My teen so always has to have to most ginormous size no of colored pencils ( even if it 's obvious by the class that he 'll prob only use seven) and his binders must have the vinyl pockets around them.... Not for putting the name of the class in them, but for any doodles he draws and a place to put a two pencils as Heaven forbid ( truly, by the rules) he is caught without one ANYWHERE. I got cool extra pockets the fit in a three ring for the front as a place to put unfinished homework as he is bad not to use these well thought out binders ;-)

My other son will be four and missed the birthday cut off. He is dying to go to school!

Now! What kind of mother would I be if I didn 't get him a fancy pencil pouch, new markers, safety scissors , glue sticks and other crafty/ learning supplies? 8-D

I adore supply stores ! I have a lot of use for them, too!
  • Quote Reply
  • NicLof2
  • by on Aug. 8, 2014 at 6:27 AM
  • Yeah the game changes after elementary school. Teachers for each class have their own lists of what they want and the kids want more personal stuff. Fun...fun lol

Quoting LaniBee:

My oldest DD does her own shopping (she's in college). My youngest is in middle school and we usually go shopping for supplies after the first week of school is done. I learned the hard way (twice) that after elementary school, there really isn't a fixed list so getting organized is more of a personal affair. Last year, DD changed her mind at least 3 times between one giant binder and a bunch of smaller binders - before she finally settled on lightweight folders for each class! I will go ahead of time and get the basic pens and pencils and any supplies we need to stock the home office.

• Quote Reply
  • SweetLuci
  • by Bronze Member on Aug. 9, 2014 at 7:56 AM
  •  Sometimes dad, sometimes me, but the kids always go along. We always let them pick some fun things like stickers for their book covers or markers. We want them to enjoy everything about school, and part of it is getting new supplies.

• Quote Reply
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)