Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Should This Mom Be Ashamed of Her Body?

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 2:50 PM
  • 15 Replies

Mom of 5 Mocked for Her Stretch Marks Has the Last Laugh

by Liz Alterman

bikini 

When proud mom of five Tanis Jex-Blake hit the beach last week with her kids she expected to have an enjoyable, relaxing day. What she didn't anticipate was driving home in tears after two men and a woman mocked her because of her stretch marks

Blake, 33, was sunbathing and sporting a bikini for the first time in 13 years when she opened her eyes to find a trio of bullies standing over her, pointing, mocking her body and pretending to kick her. 

While the Canadian was initially shocked and deeply hurt, she didn't take the insults lying down. Despite the fact that her day was ruined, what Jex-Blake did next has women everywhere cheering. 

This is an open letter to the 2 guys and 1 girl who decided to skip work today in Sherwood Park where they were building a house , but instead decided to come to Alberta Beach to relax in the sun, enjoy the water and some beers.
I'm sorry if my first attempt at sun tanning in a bikini in public in 13 years

This is an open letter to the 2 guys and 1 girl who decided to skip work today in Sherwood Park where they were building a house , but instead decided to come to Alberta Beach to relax in the sun, enjoy the water and some beers.
I'm sorry if my first attempt at sun tanning in a bikini in public in 13 years "grossed you out". I'm sorry that my stomach isn't flat and tight. I'm sorry that my belly is covered in stretch marks. I'm NOT sorry that my body has housed, grown, protected, birthed and nurtured FIVE fabulous, healthy, intelligent and wonderful human beings. I'm sorry if my 33 year old, 125 lb body offended you so much that you felt that pointing, laughing, and pretending to kick me. But I'll have you know that as I looked at your 'perfect' young bodies, I could only think to myself "what great and amazing feat has YOUR body done?". I'll also have you know that I held my head high, unflinching as you mocked me, pretending that what you said and did had no effect on me; but I cried in the car on the drive home. Thanks for ruining my day. It's people like you who make this world an ugly hateful place. I can't help but feel sorry for the women who will one day bear your children and become "gross" in your eyes as their bodies change during the miraculous process of pregnancy. I can only hope that one day you'll realize that my battle scars are something to be proud of, not ashamed of.

The mother of five took time out of what we'd have to imagine is a pretty busy day to post an open letter to her taunters on her Facebook page. Already, the empowering message has garnered close to 10,000 "likes" and has been shared nearly 7,000 times on her page alone.

Calling her stretch marks "battle scars," Jex-Blake says they should be a source of pride, not shame. 

"I'm NOT sorry that my body has housed, grown, protected, birthed and nurtured FIVE fabulous, healthy, intelligent and wonderful human beings," she wrote.  

You go, girl! Jex-Blake's message illustrates that a woman's body serves a much more powerful purpose than simply looking appealing to others at the beach.

Her response resonates with so many because, as she points out, "normal women will never measure up to a super model," nor do they have the luxury of Photoshopping each picture snapped of them.

What you wear to the beach is your choice and while others may not agree with it, it certainly doesn't give them the right to put anyone down or ruin their day.

Do you agree with Jex-Blake's response or should there be a bikini cut off?

by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 2:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NimAndBabies
by New Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 4:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I love this! Heads up Mama, I hope Karma will get back to those hateful people! .. 

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 7:52 PM
Awesome! Good for her!
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 7:52 PM
Some people are so mean but it always comes back around.
SarahSuzyQ
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 9:07 PM

Why on earth would someone behave like that? And based on what I see at the beach on a regular basis, I guarantee that there were people there with far more questionable clothing. I'm thinking about ill-fitting swimsuits, body parts hanging out, etc. As long as someone's beach outfit covers what it needs to, I would not be so worried about what their body looks like.

momofnatalie
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 10:09 PM

People need to keep hurtful comments to themselves.  Not everyone has a perfect body and those jerks should keep their mouth shut.

kmqw229
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 11:25 PM
Good for her!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 12:38 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 12:04 AM

Good for her!  Hope those rude/hateful people get it back to them ;)

melliburger
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 1:23 AM

While I would not have gone on social media I don't see the issue with her being out wearing a bikini. Body shaming sucks. We need to stop body shaming people, fat, skinny, in between, etc., etc..

SlightlyPerfect
It's here...
Yesterday at 9:19 AM
by Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 7:39 AM
I can't get behind stuff like this. What these idiots were doing was wrong, but to "drive home in tears" and to be so mad she threw up all over her social media outlets? No. That's way too much emotional investment in moronic strangers.
johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Aug. 5, 2014 at 7:41 AM

Good for her!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)