Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

What do you think about Gated Communities?

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 4:48 PM
  • 20 Replies

So we are from a very crowded, urban area and were thinking of moving back South, where we have relatives. I was doing some real estate research and stumbled upon dozens of gated communities in the area we want to move. What do you think about them? Would you live there? Do you think they are overpriced for what they offer?

by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 4:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
booaura
by Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 5:43 PM
I live in one a d love it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wandep
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 6:42 PM

They are okay. My husband's aunt lives in one FL and when we visit we always have to get the gate code from her. Its not too bad.

sonshining
by Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 6:47 PM

My stepson lives in one with his daughter, he is a single Dad. He likes the security gate of course. They're ok. Not sure of expense, but they're not for us. The neighbors seemed stacked on top of each other.

divinedimension
by New Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 6:54 PM

lived in one for 7 years- hoity toity, holier than thou, not worth the $1k a month I paid in property taxes but the houses were gorgeous. It was nice to have access to a gym, splash pad, pool, walking trails and lakes.

Sister_Someone
by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 7:26 PM

I think that I would never live in one. It is not my thing. I like my urban areas.

SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 7:32 PM

It depends on what you're looking for. I think it gives a false sense of security in some instances, but in other cases it is good. Call the police department and ask about the number of robberies in that area. That can give you an indication of the crime rate. Most are very restrictive as to what changes you can make to your property. Some people like that, some don't. Some have mostly retirees.  Have you talked with a real estate agent? They can be very helpful if they know the area well.

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 7:40 PM
I would be nervous about the association rules
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 7:41 PM
I would like the added security
SarahSuzyQ
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 8:57 PM

I am not interested in a gated community, but I also prefer a more rural setting with a little more privacy and larger lots. I could see the advantage to having a closely-knit community, neighborhood facilities, etc. But I could also see the HOA being really restrictive.

Overall, it's not my type of thing but I can understand why it might work well for some people. I think you have to figure out what your priorities are in a home/neighborhood, and that might help give a sense of whether a gated community offers that for you.

momofnatalie
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 9:36 PM

My parents lived in one for 8 years and it was a new development.  The neighbors were so close to them and they first bought into the development the HOA was $25, upkeep on the playarea and the gates and landscaping.  Two years later it was $45, and then went up $10 every year.  Along with the fee increase came new rules, no parking on the street only in the spaces near the park.  So guests would have to trek two blocks if they wanted to come and visit or if you had a spot available they could park in your driveway but residents could not park in the guest parking.  Then my dad trimmed the tree in the front to short.  They wrote a letter saying he had to buy a new tree and only allowed 5 specific kinds.  It had to be so many inches tall etc.  It was too much for them.  He hated the HOA. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)