Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

What do you think about Gated Communities?

Posted by   + Show Post

So we are from a very crowded, urban area and were thinking of moving back South, where we have relatives. I was doing some real estate research and stumbled upon dozens of gated communities in the area we want to move. What do you think about them? Would you live there? Do you think they are overpriced for what they offer?

by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 4:48 PM
Replies (11-20):
kmqw229
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 11:21 PM
I don't know anything about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 12:31 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 12:05 AM

I would love it :)

melliburger
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 1:27 AM

I've never researched them so i don't have much of an opinion. I don't see the harm in them.

Momofmenagerie
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 7:10 AM
The only reason I would not ever move to a gated community ( home to own) is I am against. HOA fees and rules.

For a dumb example: if I should happen to want to paint my front door purple, I should be able to because I'm paying the mortgage of my house.

They have some usefulness, yes, but I am not paying an exorbitant fee to get more rules than benefits.
notjstanothrmom
by Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 9:17 AM

There are none around here. I am not into cookie cutter homes that are so close to each other you know your neighbors schedule. 

jessicasmom1
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 8:30 PM

they are ok

l86amore
by New Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 9:03 PM

Actually I just moved south from up north where I lived in the city, like you said a crowded community. I currently live in a private gated community and I love it. I think we get what we pay for, privacy, security and luxury.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 11:55 PM

I would have to check it out first but i would consider it yes.

Roo1234
by Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 12:06 AM
Interesting story. .. there were a serious of home invasions/robberies/rapes in our area and when the suspect was caught he was living in the gated community. It was interesting because so many of the families who lived thewe were convinced that he couldn't possibly be "one of them" clear up until his conviction

I think much of the time they give a false sense of security
rockinmomto2
by Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 8:28 AM

I wouldn't live anywhere with an HOA. I'm not going to let some random board of strangers tell me what I can and can't do with a house that I buy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)