Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom
My almost 10 year old has been having daily head aches which have caused her to cry, she says she feels dizzy too and her legs are weak. They told me they were going to do a CT Scan but then when I got called for the Appointment it's a MRI with no contrast instead. Should I be worried that they decided to do a different test? She also has a pediatric neurology appointment on the 18 at 1.
by on Aug. 8, 2014 at 4:41 PM
Replies (11-18):
SarahSuzyQ
by Bronze Member on Aug. 9, 2014 at 9:35 AM
http://www.diffen.com/difference/CT_Scan_vs_MRI

OP, I hope the doctors can give you some answers about what's going on with your DD. I will say my 7yo nephew gets migraines, so I agree that it could be something like that. Please keep us updated on what's happening with her.

Quoting steffielou_who: http://www.diffen.com/difference/CT_Scan_vs_MRI

Someone make it clicky.. I'm mobile!
mamamiajk
by Platinum Member on Aug. 9, 2014 at 10:41 AM

It could mean she needs glasses. Has she ever been tested? Just a thought. I hope they get to the bottom of it. Hugs

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Aug. 9, 2014 at 3:05 PM
Fever few can help with migraines
PinkButterfly66
by Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 2:27 AM

MRIs are safer.  CT Scans have a lot of radiation.  Go with the MRI first if more info is needed they can always do a CT scan.  But don't let them willy nilly do one.

athorne
by Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 9:05 AM
The doctors are probably just trying to be safe to make sure nothing is wrong that they should be concerned about. Hopefully she is not having very small seizures. Does it run in your family? It doesn't in mine, however, I started having seizures when I was in my mid 20's and a lot of times when I was having one they were just very intense headaches. Hope she gets better. :( let us know how it goes. You can private message me of you want.
xXBonneMamanXx
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 9:16 AM

Sounds like puberty symptoms. Best of luck to you and DD!

Quoting kmqw229: Could she be going through puberty?

Momofmenagerie
by Bronze Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 11:29 PM
No. It's most likely just a change to a better test,which won't show any problems ( just a procedural precaution... and very likely she will be diagnosed with adolecent migraines which may slow down in persistency or go away all together after she well... Sort if " outgrows " them for awhile.

After that, she may have a flare up once or twice a year to chronic later in her adult life, but they sure sound like migraines ...even without an aura present .
Good luck. An MRI W/ contrast is a much more involved test than CAT Scan
aj_mom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 3:34 PM

The MRI can still tell you what is going on DS had his first one 2 years ago, ordered due to terrible headaches. It showed an optic nerve glioma, he also sees a pain management doctor 2-3 times a year, as well as his NF doctor.

I would be happy to answer any questions you have for me the best I can.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)