Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

DS got his first bee sting...

Posted by   + Show Post
My son and some buddies were playing outside at a friend's house yesterday when two of the boys stepped in a ground bees nest. :-( My poor boy screamed so loudly... He got stung three times!

So we learned yesterday that he is not allergic, since it was the first time he's ever been stung by a bee. Thankfully the other little boy, who got stung once, is also not allergic. Not sure what my friends are going to do about the nest in their backyard. :-\ Poor boys. It was a rough afternoon.

What's the last injury your child had, whether major or minor?
by on Aug. 9, 2014 at 9:44 AM
Replies (21-29):
SarahSuzyQ
by Bronze Member on Aug. 9, 2014 at 9:15 PM
Ouch! :-( How strange that they wouldn't treat him because you weren't planning to breed... Poor pup!

Quoting PogoPalOj:

 My shi-tzu stepped on one and then sat down on one.  Poor guy, stung him right on his nether regions.  I took him to the vet and they said since we weren't going to breed him that they wouldn't give him a steroid shot.  Assholes!  I took him home and put his backside in a metal bowl of ice.  I didn't even have to hold him there for after a few minutes.  I on the other hand am highly allergic. 

PinkButterfly66
by Member on Aug. 9, 2014 at 9:17 PM

I found the recipe on line a few years ago when I got stung by ground bees (which are really wasps).  I got stung 6 times.  It really does work.

Quoting SarahSuzyQ: We did baking soda paste, but I've never heard of the onion. The stings were uncomfortable all day, so having better remedies in our pocket will be helpful next time... And knowing DS, there will be a next time. :-\ Thank you for the tip.
Quoting PinkButterfly66:

best bee sting remedy ever:  chop up finely an onion (has to be one that makes you cry), mix in equal portions of baking soda and vinegar.  Apply mixture to stings with a bandage.  Relief will happen almost immediately.  Reapply poultice when pain comes back, and again after bath.  When he wakes up the swelling will be gone and so will most of the pain.  Reapply if necessary.


othermom
by Silver Member on Aug. 9, 2014 at 10:09 PM

 

Quoting SarahSuzyQ: Oh no, that stinks. They really hurt! How old is your youngest? Did he/she handle it OK?
Quoting othermom:

That sucks. My youngest just got stung by a bee today at the park

 She is almost 5. She cried for a little bit while we walked home to put some hydrocortizone cream on it, but was fine otherwise. I think she got stung once before too, although I am not sure, the first time she just said it itched and had a little welt. She had a little welt this time too, but it went down quick with the cream

SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Aug. 9, 2014 at 10:48 PM

 She was 13 then. She was in a wave pool with her cousins, and realized the post had fallen off of her earring, she took the earring our and started to the side of the pool to give it to her aunt to hold. She was afraid a wave would knock it out of her hand, so she put it in her mouth for safekeeping! Well along came a wave and knocked another kid into her at which time she swallowed the earring. Because the earring had a metal post, the doctors were afraid it might possibly puncture her intestine and kept taking exrays. It kept moving along, and three days later it exited the body! yay. It is funny now, but it was sure scary then.

Quoting SarahSuzyQ: An earring?
Quoting SweetLuci:

 That last problem was last year when she swallowed an earring.

 

hugss
Report
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:18 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 12:07 AM

Aww ouch :(
so glad they are not alleric.
How are they/yours now?
Hugs to him :)

melliburger
by Bronze Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 12:51 AM

Poor kiddo :(

He got stung by some insect on a walk :( Poor kiddo

BDBVAMP
by Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 8:32 AM
My oldest dd was playing softball this summer and got hit in the ear with the softball.
My dd2 broke her arm last yr.
My ds fell down our steps and bruised up.
My dd3 (baby) learning to walk smacked her head on the underside of our table. She got a nice sized goose egg and a small cut on it.
Macksmom2006
by New Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 1:53 PM
Is this the second time your sons been stung? First time he won't necessarily have a reaction it's the second/third time he will. He has no antibodies to bees
daevans
by Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 2:47 PM
I just got done at the hospital today. Earlier I had dropped a glass cup of water, and it shattered. I had told nobody to move. As I turned around to get the broom, my son (who's almost 5 decided it would be a great idea to try and jump over the pile of glass. He slipped in the water and hit his elbow on the tile floor(luckily where there was no glass). His butt landed in the pile of glass. He was wearing jean pants today, so that saved his legs and butt. All of his weight landed on his elbow and butt. Took him to the we because his elbow was swollen. Luckily nothing is broken, but he has to wear his arm in a sling for a week or so
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN