Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Those Last Days of Summer

We are two weeks out from the first day of school and it's almost time for some serious routine rearranging. For over two months we have been blowing off bedtime and staying up way too late. We moved to a new house in a new town, went on a family vacation and a few spontaneous day trips.  We also got a new puppy because, of course we did. Our sunscreen is almost gone and the air is getting a bit crisper.  Now, here we are mid-August. We are oh so close to that big transition we have been preparing for - the first day at a brand spanking new school.

Starting this week we will begin the arduous task of getting back to a more structured routine and preparing for the school year.  Slowly we will ease our internal clocks toward waking with the sun (and I will be buying the good coffee for this, of course). Soon we will start the trial runs for getting out of the house on time and planning lunches along with the grocery shopping.  We will be setting the clothes out the night before and always have his show-and-tell item decided on BEFORE going to bed at night.

Sadly I will start waking up before everyone else (again...coffee will be critical) so that I am ready before they even wake. This is going to be hard for me because, oh man, I love to sleep but I know myself.  If I don't get ready first the likelihood that I will remain in my pajamas all day rises to about a 98% chance and nobody wants or needs that. 

It's almost here. It's right around the corner. 

But for today, and  just a few more days, we will be going full-tilt at the pool and staying up late a few more times. We will try to finally catch the elusive ice cream truck and wear our flip flops a little longer.  We might hit a drive-in movie or play mini-golf. We will definitely be sleeping in.  Because in two and half weeks, sleeping in is officially off the table. Oy.

Do you have any end of summer fun planned? How are you preparing your family for back-to school? 

Image © iStock.com/ Photolyric

TheFamilyPants About :
Replies (51-52):
  • cjsjellybean
  • by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 1:13 PM
  •  Yummy!! I shared a giant turkey leg with the kids on Wednesday!  My husbands favorite is the deep fried oreos, lol.  Tonight I want to get the Hawaiian Shaved Ice.  So good!

Quoting splatz: I haven't been to the fair in at least 5-6 years. I want some fair food! lol
    Quoting cjsjellybean:

We had such a good time!  We are going back tomorrow!

Quoting splatz:

So fun! 

Quoting cjsjellybean:

We are going to the county fair this week!!  So excited.

• Quote Reply
  • NearSeattleMom
  • by Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 2:06 PM

• My kids start two weeks apart . . . so we are just kind of limping toward the first days of school.  Just trying to make sure everyone has the right clothes and shoes and supplies!

• Quote Reply
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)