Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Growing out short hair - help!!

Posted by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 10:02 AM
  • 10 Replies

I have always struggled with my hairstyle. I have "thick" hair that is a beautiful mouse brown colour naturally. It has been past my shoulders and chopped off pixie short over the years.

Last year at Hallowe'en, I cut it short from shoulder length to a short style for my costume - Rizzo from Grease (with John Travolta). I had it trimmed again after about 6 weeks to keep up with the style, but then missed the next appt. and just haven't bothered to go back - dh wants me to grow it out, so I am trying to do that.

Problem is, it's at the shaggy stage now, wings flare out above my ears and the top is only as long as just covering the tops of my ears. The back is almost touching the base of my neck finally - I'm positive my hair grows super slow!

What I'm asking is - do I go get it trimmed to accommodate a style for this length while trying to grow it out, or do I just suffer through the shaggy stage - if I put my sunglasses on and push them up onto my head like a hairband it looks good, that's about all that saves me from looking stupid at this point. I won't buy a hairband to wear - can't find any that I feel fit my head or look ok, lol. If I use bobby pins, I can manage to keep some of it tamed, but they never stay put and I'm always fixing/adjusting them. I do not use hair spray or gel, I have an aversion to them.

My other thought is, do I throw in a deep red/chestnut red colour to give it something fresh so the length doesn't matter as much? Is that the wrong colour for summer? It's my default colour when I actually colour my hair. I just need to do something to be able to survive growing this out!

I will add a pic of me now so you can see the mess that is my hair, lol. (can't add the pic till I get home from work tho, so you'll have to wait, sorry!)

by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 10:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 10:20 AM

I would have it trimmed. Let the hair stylist know that you're growing it out. You'll feel much better about how it looks. Since you like the color, I wouldn't dye it, that can damage the ends, and make you have to get another trim sooner.

wandep
by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 10:37 AM

I think I would trim it too. That would get on my nerves. My last haircut the lady styled it and cut it way too short for my liking after I told her just to trim it. :( So now it is taking forever to grow it out again. 

momofnatalie
by Silver Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 2:21 PM

I would get a trim and then color wise, if that color works for you then go for it, if you want something different for the rest of the summer I would ask your stylist.

Meg2011425
by Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 2:25 PM

My hair is the same way. Very thick and is frizzy and everything in-between. I just got mine done to this on Friday. If you like your color then keep it. But I would talk to a stylist about what you want and they can help with that. I hate the shaggy stage. LOL!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Janet
by Ruby Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 10:51 PM

Keep it trimmed. If it grows slow every 3 months should do it.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/supportive group :)
Today at 12:26 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Aug. 12, 2014 at 12:07 AM

Have it trimmed a bit :)

melliburger
by Bronze Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 2:03 AM

I think the trimming idea is a good one.

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't cut it.  You'd be surprised how much longer it will be in a just a few months if you stop cutting it at all.  Try putting it up, half up, in clips, etc. Hats, headbands.

nurse1997
by Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 12:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Unless you have split ends don't cut it. Go to a dollar store and buy a handful of headbands just so you can throw one on in a pinch! Color it and just deal doll !   

nurse1997
by Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 2:46 PM

People always say trim the hair unless it is damaged trimming does nothing but delays your hair growth to get it long. Your hair grows from the scalp!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN