Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Do your kids ever act helpless

Posted by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 11:02 AM
  • 47 Replies
1 mom liked this

Do your kids ever act like they are helpless with something they are perfectly capable of doing? Today my son (11) was switching games in the game system and when he got one game out of the case the instruction booklet fell on the floor, so he asked his sister to grab it and was getting mad because she wouldn't. He was saying he couldn't because he had a game in one hand and was going to be changing them. I told him to pick it up and he started to get upset until I told him if he can't figure out how to pick up after himself then he  is not capable of playing a game and he did pick it up. It gets so frustrating something

by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 11:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PeachQuean
by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 11:06 AM
Yes they at times act helpless.

I.ignore it.

But I also ask my kids do to stuff for me that I'm capable of doing. And my kids do the same, we either say no thank.you, or do it.

I don't see an issue asking someone to pick.something up for them while doing another task. But if they say no thank you, then they do it themselves.
othermom
by Silver Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 11:20 AM

Quoting PeachQuean: Yes they at times act helpless. I.ignore it. But I also ask my kids do to stuff for me that I'm capable of doing. And my kids do the same, we either say no thank.you, or do it. I don't see an issue asking someone to pick.something up for them while doing another task. But if they say no thank you, then they do it themselves.

I do ask them to do stuff that I am able to do, they ask me sometimes too and each other and they will often help each other. I think what got to me most this morning is that he was getting mad because she wouldn't pick it up and he was arguing with her. The paper was right at his feet and in the time he stood there asking her to get it( he asked more than once) he could have picked it up. Or he could have finished switching the game and thn picked it up

melliburger
by Bronze Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 1:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes. My son's 4 and he does things like that a lot

jessi2girls
by Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 9:06 AM
1 mom liked this

they've tried it once or twice.. and found it doesn't fly with me. lol. 

Sydel
by Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 9:36 AM

My 12 year old had an anxiety attack because I told her to wash her own spoon. Seriously her dad does not make her do dishes. And he got upset with me for telling her to wash her OWN spoon. She said and I quote "I don't trust myself washing my spoon. I don't believe I will get the water hot enough and get all the germs off of it. I'm scared I'll get a mouth full of soap in my mouth when I try to eat my  yogurt. It's just best that you or daddy do it" And sure enough my husband washed her a spoon minutes before he was suppose to leave for work. smh...

Apr1l
by Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 9:37 AM
1 mom liked this
Woah

Quoting Sydel:

My 12 year old had an anxiety attack because I told her to wash her own spoon. Seriously her dad does not make her do dishes. And he got upset with me for telling her to wash her OWN spoon. She said and I quote "I don't trust myself washing my spoon. I don't believe I will get the water hot enough and get all the germs off of it. I'm scared I'll get a mouth full of soap in my mouth when I try to eat my  yogurt. It's just best that you or daddy do it" And sure enough my husband washed her a spoon minutes before he was suppose to leave for work. smh...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jen291985
by on Aug. 12, 2014 at 9:41 AM

All the time. 

DixonBabies
by Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh hell no. She would be doing a whole sink full of dishes for that one. 

But yes, my 11yo dd is acting helpless right now. She spent the summer with her dad and grandpa and both men wait on her hand and foot. She stayed in her room ALLLL day yesterday, didn't even come out to get a drink or eat lunch, because she says she was waiting on me to tell her to come eat and have her plate with her drink on the table waiting for her smh. I told her she knows how to make a sandwich and knows how to open a bottle of water. I do not cook fancy meals for lunch so she knows at home lunch is sandwiches, hot dogs, pasta, etc. It pisses me off that she actually forgot that mommy doesn't do that for her. OH and the big one is they even tied her shoes for her so she is acting like she doesnt know how to tie shoes and gets upset when I tell her to retie her shoes before we go any where or before we get into a store. That one really burns me up. 

Quoting Sydel:

Sydel
by Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 9:51 AM

My husband has crazy OCD. No one is allowed to do dishes BUT him because he doesn't want us to make a water mess and if I do them when he's not home or they start to pile up. He will re-wash them because he says I do them wrong. He also does all the laundry because he reads every clothing tag. And he does most of the cooking which means he will sometimes make 3 different dinners for our very spoiled girls. I make them do stuff when he's not around. In the example I used he was in the living room and she was saying this in front of him. smh.. She is going to have a difficult transition into adulthood when he's not there to cater to her.

Quoting DixonBabies:

Oh hell no. She would be doing a whole sink full of dishes for that one. 

But yes, my 11yo dd is acting helpless right now. She spent the summer with her dad and grandpa and both men wait on her hand and foot. She stayed in her room ALLLL day yesterday, didn't even come out to get a drink or eat lunch, because she says she was waiting on me to tell her to come eat and have her plate with her drink on the table waiting for her smh. I told her she knows how to make a sandwich and knows how to open a bottle of water. I do not cook fancy meals for lunch so she knows at home lunch is sandwiches, hot dogs, pasta, etc. It pisses me off that she actually forgot that mommy doesn't do that for her. OH and the big one is they even tied her shoes for her so she is acting like she doesnt know how to tie shoes and gets upset when I tell her to retie her shoes before we go any where or before we get into a store. That one really burns me up. 

Quoting Sydel:

jeda1429
by on Aug. 12, 2014 at 9:59 AM

yep, my kiddo does that crap all the time . grr.....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)