Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Do your kids ever act helpless

Posted by   + Show Post

Do your kids ever act like they are helpless with something they are perfectly capable of doing? Today my son (11) was switching games in the game system and when he got one game out of the case the instruction booklet fell on the floor, so he asked his sister to grab it and was getting mad because she wouldn't. He was saying he couldn't because he had a game in one hand and was going to be changing them. I told him to pick it up and he started to get upset until I told him if he can't figure out how to pick up after himself then he  is not capable of playing a game and he did pick it up. It gets so frustrating something

by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 11:02 AM
Replies (41-47):
momofnatalie
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:27 PM

I know, I think she thinks I didn't know what she was trying to do.  lol  I hope your kids outgrew that.  

Quoting SweetLuci:

Oh boy, I rememer that happening with mine! They had no problem getting something when they want it though!

Quoting momofnatalie:

Lol, I know my four year old complains my legs hurt I can't walk over there to get my cup.  I'm like look missy, I'm ten times older than you, you should have no problem getting up and walking 20 feet. 

MrsBx
by Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 12:22 AM

Yes, everyday. My dghtr is 18 and she knows how to cook, do laundry and clean around the house. But she says, "that's the mom's job" in an arrogant, snotty voice. I tell her it is also her job to get herself to work by bus. She doesn't like that so it pretty much shuts her up. She does keep her bedroom neat and tidy and the bathroom so so. the likes to arrange the food in the refrigerator so that things are stacked neatly. She's good at that. So, it's a tradeoff I guess. But I like to remind her that a house is a community environment and it works better when everyone contributes to keeping community area (kitchen, living room, bathroom) tidy.

SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 12:34 AM

They did outgrow it...when they realized that mom was onto them. lol

Quoting momofnatalie:

I know, I think she thinks I didn't know what she was trying to do.  lol  I hope your kids outgrew that.  

Quoting SweetLuci:

Oh boy, I rememer that happening with mine! They had no problem getting something when they want it though!

Quoting momofnatalie:

Lol, I know my four year old complains my legs hurt I can't walk over there to get my cup.  I'm like look missy, I'm ten times older than you, you should have no problem getting up and walking 20 feet. 

SarahSuzyQ
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 9:32 AM

YES. And when it's just asking a favor for convenience, I do it as often as they do. When it's acting helpless to get out of a chore or responsibility, it's not acceptable.

othermom
by Silver Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 10:35 AM

That attitudewould drive me nuts. My kids like to tell me how they do "everything" around the house, when we ask them to do chores or let the dog out, so I start telling them that they can start doing all the things I do and they quit really quick. My girls love to help cook and my almost 9 year old wants to be able to cook alone already, so we try to let her help as much as possible.

Quoting MrsBx:

Yes, everyday. My dghtr is 18 and she knows how to cook, do laundry and clean around the house. But she says, "that's the mom's job" in an arrogant, snotty voice. I tell her it is also her job to get herself to work by bus. She doesn't like that so it pretty much shuts her up. She does keep her bedroom neat and tidy and the bathroom so so. the likes to arrange the food in the refrigerator so that things are stacked neatly. She's good at that. So, it's a tradeoff I guess. But I like to remind her that a house is a community environment and it works better when everyone contributes to keeping community area (kitchen, living room, bathroom) tidy.

MrsBx
by Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 9:36 AM

Because we lack a kitchen table, my dghtr often eats at the table in the living room-which is about 5 feet from the kitchen sink.  When my dghtr is done eating, she'll wait til I'm passing through the area to ask me to take her dishes to the sink. I tell her, "Nope, not going that way", or "you're closer, it takes fewer steps for you". Then she replies, "No, you're closer." This goes on back and forth before I say, "Sorry, your Highness, learn to accept the answer, "NO", and continue on my way. Did I mention that she's 18?  So, if you don't catch them young, you have many more years of laziness and insolence to look forward to :(

othermom
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 10:57 AM

Quoting MrsBx:

Because we lack a kitchen table, my dghtr often eats at the table in the living room-which is about 5 feet from the kitchen sink.  When my dghtr is done eating, she'll wait til I'm passing through the area to ask me to take her dishes to the sink. I tell her, "Nope, not going that way", or "you're closer, it takes fewer steps for you". Then she replies, "No, you're closer." This goes on back and forth before I say, "Sorry, your Highness, learn to accept the answer, "NO", and continue on my way. Did I mention that she's 18?  So, if you don't catch them young, you have many more years of laziness and insolence to look forward to :(

I am trying to sart young

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN