Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Taking in my Brother

Posted by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 1:46 PM
  • 12 Replies

My only sibling is a ten-year-old brother. His father (who has sole custody) was diagnosed a month ago with cancer. With treatment, he will live a year more. He's electing to live his last four months to the fullest sans chemo. When he passes, I will be the only family this kid has left. Of course I will take him into my home and finish raising him. Any tips from moms of boys at this age so I can start "getting ready" for this? I have 2 young children and expecting triplets in January.

by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 1:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jewels.unicorn
by Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 2:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow, that's going to be a full house! Hugs to you in taking this on!

10 yr old boys are funny, they don't seem to want to "play" with toys, but at the same time, if they know they can without being judged, they will. My son loves Lego and his video games. And he enjoys reading a couple different book series.

I think your best bet is to take him out to the mall if you can a few times and just see what he seems to be interested in.

Do you not really know him very well? Spend some time with him, I'm sure he'll be able to help you without you even really having to ask about interests & things.

Make sure he has a bicycle if you can, let him get out & do stuff - maybe get a basketball net or frisbee, those are the few outdoor activities my son really enjoys.

Hope this helps!

xXBonneMamanXx
by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 2:40 PM

I haven't seen him much in the past few years. His dad got custody when he was six and I was sixteen (I called to take him away from our abusive mother) and I'd seen him after each of my kids were born, but not much quality sibling time. 

This helps a lot. I'll take him to the mall this weekend.

Quoting jewels.unicorn:

10 yr old boys are funny, they don't seem to want to "play" with toys, but at the same time, if they know they can without being judged, they will. My son loves Lego and his video games. And he enjoys reading a couple different book series.

I think your best bet is to take him out to the mall if you can a few times and just see what he seems to be interested in.

Do you not really know him very well? Spend some time with him, I'm sure he'll be able to help you without you even really having to ask about interests & things.

Make sure he has a bicycle if you can, let him get out & do stuff - maybe get a basketball net or frisbee, those are the few outdoor activities my son really enjoys.

Hope this helps!

Janet
by Ruby Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 10:45 PM

Spend some quality time with him. He is going to be losing another parent. This can't be easy on him.

momofnatalie
by Bronze Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 11:46 PM

I would definitely give him the opportunity to create his space.  I'm sure if he can bring whatever he wants and set up his room, it will make him feel more comfortable.  I truly admire you stepping up especially with triplets on the way.  I know its going to be a lot of changes for him so I hope things go well for everyone.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 12:34 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Silver Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 12:08 AM

Aww  .. how old is he?
Hugs to you :)

lademambro
by on Aug. 12, 2014 at 12:18 AM
1 mom liked this

I will keep you and your family in my prayers. I am impressed that you are trying to make things as smooth as possible for your brother. I would talk to someone at his school, usually they have school phsycologist who can work with your brother and you to help with the transition. Good luck to you and your family!!!!+

melliburger
by Bronze Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 2:04 AM

Oh no! :( I have no advice but it is so nice of you to take him in. You are in for some big changes, especially with triplets on the way! Good luck

xXBonneMamanXx
by on Aug. 12, 2014 at 6:02 AM

He's 10 and a half :)

Quoting hugss:

Aww  .. how old is he?Hugs to you :)

wandep
by Bronze Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 7:39 AM

I agree with this. :) I have a 10 year old too. He loves his ipod, legos, and reading books. 

Good luck to you and your family......its nice to have family stick together in times like this. HUGS

Quoting jewels.unicorn:

Hope this helps!

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 12:34 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Silver Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 8:57 AM

Good luck :)

Quoting xXBonneMamanXx:

He's 10 and a half :)

Quoting hugss:

Aww  .. how old is he?Hugs to you :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)