Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

My only sibling is a ten-year-old brother. His father (who has sole custody) was diagnosed a month ago with cancer. With treatment, he will live a year more. He's electing to live his last four months to the fullest sans chemo. When he passes, I will be the only family this kid has left. Of course I will take him into my home and finish raising him. Any tips from moms of boys at this age so I can start "getting ready" for this? I have 2 young children and expecting triplets in January.

by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 1:46 PM
Replies (11-12):
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 11:56 AM

Poor kid!  Spending some one on one time now would be helpful to help in a transition.  Has he ever spent the night?  Give him lots of choices in terms of his bedroom, clothing, meals, etc.

xXBonneMamanXx
by on Aug. 12, 2014 at 12:01 PM

He will be spending the weekend with us. I enrolled him in school and found some boys who live near me going to the school. Our house has a big finished lower level that I was going to convert to his room (Sorry babe, no more man cave). He's met my SO twice, when he came to see my kids when they were first born. We haven't spent much time together since he went to live with his dad, but he's excited to spend the weekend with us.

Quoting ablackdolphin:

Poor kid!  Spending some one on one time now would be helpful to help in a transition.  Has he ever spent the night?  Give him lots of choices in terms of his bedroom, clothing, meals, etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)