Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

ABUSIVE PARENTING?

Posted by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 2:41 PM
  • 24 Replies

Would you put your child in a beauty pageant? 

Do you believe there are ways to make it a positive experience for the very most part? Or are you four-square against it ... period?

by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 2:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jenn8604
by Bronze Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 2:44 PM
I would never waste my time having someone tell my kid you're not pretty enough or talented enough.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BDBVAMP
by Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 3:05 PM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't put my children into one unless they wanted to. And then I definitely wouldn't go to the extreme that some of those parents do.
egyptian_mommy
by Bronze Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 3:05 PM
I wouldn't do ones where the girls have to be mini Barbie dolls. All that makeup and stuff on a little girl just doesn't seem right. But if my daughters expressed an interest in doing a simple one for fun, I'd be more open to it.
Scarpetta71
by Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 3:10 PM

I wouldn't for me but if they asked me if they could do it I would seriously consider it ... Altho I'd probably compromise with a princess party!

okpondlady
by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Not my child.  Ever.  Period.

TANSTAAFL- There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Jozemom
by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 4:57 PM
Nope, never. Besides the insane costs and ridiculous amount of time it takes up, the message it sends to young girls is not one I wish to inculcate in my child.
jeda1429
by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 4:58 PM

only if it was something that my child was asking to do.

SpiritedWitch
by Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 5:06 PM

Oh god no!! I do not care how much she wanted it, she could wait until she was a teenager (16 or older). I am firmly against it. I think it is wrong to do that to little girls. Caked on makeup, bitching about their weight, stressing them out for what? So Mommy can have her moment of glory ... no.

Abusive and disgusting in my opinion. 

ssirren
by New Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 6:16 PM

Honestly, to each their own. Just because I dont find it to be something I would want my child in doesn't mean I am going to tell someone else they are wrong for wanting to do it. I just feel that people don't always make the best decisions, whether or not they feel that pagents are a good thing to do for their children. 
But if my daughter wanted to do it just for fun, minus all those costs, makeup, etc. then I wouldl let her do it. I mean after all, its the parents job to teach their children to be strong and independent, not a pagent.
So while I tend to disagree with them, I won't be the one to tell another parent if they should or should not put their child in one.

Mrs.Bolin
by Gold Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 6:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Of course there are ways to make it positive. Thats how you are soposed to parent your children. Would I put my child in a pageant? Only if I had the money for the supplies and my child wanted to do it. But she wouldnt and doesn't care too. No parent should force their child to be in a pageant. That is shitty parenting. Those things are soposed to be fun. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN