Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

cleaning

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:47 AM
  • 25 Replies
Why is it my two oldest 6&5 seem to not know what cleaning up after themselves mean. Ughh
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SlightlyPerfect
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:21 AM

Just stay on top of their work. They're at the age now during which they'll canalize habits. Don't worry about perfection until they're older. Just get the habits formed. This is especially true about before- and after-school routines, like hand washing, homework, etc.

Emmybrown
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:29 AM
Im trying but they tell me they forget ughh.. and dont seem to understand the meaning of one toy at a time

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

Just stay on top of their work. They're at the age now during which they'll canalize habits. Don't worry about perfection until they're older. Just get the habits formed. This is especially true about before- and after-school routines, like hand washing, homework, etc.

othermom
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:38 AM

My kids get that way sometimes. I have a rule though that if they don't do their chores they lose tv and games the next day and it usually motivates them. Of course sometimes it is hard since my husband is horrible about picking up after himself sometimes too

Emmybrown
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:54 AM
My boyfriend never does. . And I tell then punishment or reward kinda thing.. but still.. im tired of being a damn maid

Quoting othermom:

My kids get that way sometimes. I have a rule though that if they don't do their chores they lose tv and games the next day and it usually motivates them. Of course sometimes it is hard since my husband is horrible about picking up after himself sometimes too

othermom
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:05 AM

Quoting Emmybrown: My boyfriend never does. . And I tell then punishment or reward kinda thing.. but still.. im tired of being a damn maid
Quoting othermom:

One thing I have done in the past, only had to do it a few times.Is anything that is left out after I tell them to clean it up( I warn them ahead of time) I bag up and I keep it for a week and I decide what they get back and what gets donated. When my older daughter was about 5 she called me on it and I ended up bagging up ALL of her toys for a week( ended up doing it twice in a few weeks) and she figured out I was serious and did much better after that

wandep
Hope everyone has a great week!!! It's almost Christmas time!!!
Yesterday at 9:39 AM
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 2:25 PM

I'd just be happy if they would clean their rooms without me asking them to.

Emmybrown
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 2:36 PM
Omg I love that idea I must try it

Quoting othermom:

Quoting Emmybrown: My boyfriend never does. . And I tell then punishment or reward kinda thing.. but still.. im tired of being a damn maid
Quoting othermom:

One thing I have done in the past, only had to do it a few times.Is anything that is left out after I tell them to clean it up( I warn them ahead of time) I bag up and I keep it for a week and I decide what they get back and what gets donated. When my older daughter was about 5 she called me on it and I ended up bagging up ALL of her toys for a week( ended up doing it twice in a few weeks) and she figured out I was serious and did much better after that

Emmybrown
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 2:38 PM
Yes yes me to.. and not having to stand there watching them do it

Quoting wandep:

I'd just be happy if they would clean their rooms without me asking them to.

SlightlyPerfect
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 4:05 PM
Oh, they understand it just fine. Don't let them manipulate you. Be firm and consistent now. Little now, little problems. Big later, big problems.

Quoting Emmybrown: Im trying but they tell me they forget ughh.. and dont seem to understand the meaning of one toy at a time

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:05 PM

That and my husband lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN