Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

thoughts on toddler boy in dance

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:32 AM
  • 131 Replies
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

The idea of sticking my 3 year old in dance scares me, but I know he would enjoy it. I'm just torn because of judgment boys who dance have. I have a traditional family where boys need to play football and baseball anything else makes them gay. I have a very energetic boy who loves to sing and dance and be the center of attention andjust recently learned about rythem and moving its adorable. But iI dondon't want to have to listen to my whole family give me crap. Dance doesn't make you gay Ijust want my son to enjoy himself.
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DACIA79
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:34 AM
11 moms liked this
Put that little guy in dance class.
othermom
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:35 AM
3 moms liked this

Nothing wrong with putting him in dance

evolover14
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:37 AM
Alright my next concern is he can't talk yet. But he listens 80 percent of the time
Momofmenagerie
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:06 PM
14 moms liked this
Okay, if you really feel you must defend your parenting choices..., dance and gymnastics are a great way for boys to learn to control their bodies, learn focus and gain skills such as limbering up that are all extremely helpful in sports should he choose to do one later.
It helps in football, wrestling , baseball, or any other " manly" sport he should take up.

However, in our area, it's pretty easy to shut up the machismo by saying " you know, men who joke and show fear of homosexuals usually do so in order to hide their own curiosity about being with a man themselves"

There is a moment of hotheadedness and then the behavior stops.... Especially if you keep going with that line of defense. Works here, anyway, and I don't live in a completely open minded area, either.

But you're parenting choices are yours and yours alone and it is okay to go offif something is said directly to your child. You do not want him growing up with that same barbaric mentality.
It's just dance... And he'll have a lot of little girls as friends when he starts school. :-) They won't see that as a bad thing, will they?
Tiff22Faith
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:07 PM
1 mom liked this
Let him do what he loves. Professional football players are known to take ballet so they can play better. Honestly, just ignore your family. If they want to be rude, remove them from the picture. Tell them he isn't theirs and they need to mind their own business.
P.s. I plan on putting my son in dance when he is old enough so go for it.
Momofmenagerie
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:11 PM
2 moms liked this
Besides, sports personLities in traditionally "manly" sports are revealing their sexuality more and more. I say that only for your "traditional" family's sake.
The child wants to dance and sing.... Friggin let him and be damned anyone who utters a word to you or him'
evolover14
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:14 PM
My dad and grandmother treat them as if their their kids. My husband said our kids don't even feel like their ours. They help us out financially so everything we do with our boys have to be OK nwith them I feel like. !y husband said fuck mthem and does what he wants with our kids but I don't know if he is for the dance either.....
evolover14
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:16 PM
Thanks! I am really going to look into it and talk too my husband tonight.

Quoting Tiff22Faith: Let him do what he loves. Professional football players are known to take ballet so they can play better. Honestly, just ignore your family. If they want to be rude, remove them from the picture. Tell them he isn't theirs and they need to mind their own business.
P.s. I plan on putting my son in dance when he is old enough so go for it.
SlightlyPerfect
Merry Giftmas!
Yesterday at 11:08 AM
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 4:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Who gives a shit about what others think? Does he wanna dance? Then let him! Don't deny him a learning experience just because it makes someone else uncomfortable for ridiculous reasons. He's adorable, and he deserves it.
LaughsAlot
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 5:13 PM
1 mom liked this

He is your son, so put him in dance class, nothing wrong with that at all! Some folks are just too closed-minded, don't worry about what they think, what's important is how your son feel's and if he enjoys it!!good

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN