Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Let's Talk About Shopping For School Supplies

By YvonneMarieV on Aug. 13, 2014 at 2:55 PM

My favorite part of back to school shopping is definitely the part where we go shopping for school supplies. There isn't a whole lot of drama or emotion when purchasing pencils and paper.  However, things can get a little nuts when the kids think that they need every! single! thing! that they see. 

When my boys were little (they are now 21 and 17. Wah!) I used to take them to buy supplies before school started.  They would load up on paper, pencils, crayons, glue sticks, folders, colored pencils  and *insert every supply you can think of here*  When school started they would have everything that they needed and more! 

I've changed my school supply shopping ways with my daughter. We no longer head out to buy All of The Things. Instead while we're out buying clothes, I'll let my daughter stop by the supply section to pick up pencils, pencil sharpener and a pack of crayons. That's it.

Once the teacher sends the "supply list" home (or posts it on his/her website) we head out to buy what exactly what she needs. I will let her throw in a couple of things that aren't on the list, like a pencil box because I don't want to take ALL of the fun out of it! But for the most part, we stick to the list to avoid overspending and buying things we do not need.

How do you handle shopping for school supplies? Do you wait for the teacher's list of supplies?  

YvonneMarieV About :
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
  • LaniBee
  • by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 8:28 AM
  • We always waited for the supply list to come out when the kids were in elementary school. Now that one is in college and the other is in middle school, we just buy some general supplies and whatever items they need to help stay organized. 

• Quote Reply
  • copperswifey
  • by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 1:08 PM
  • We do wait for the list and then a local church puts on a back to school carnival for the community. The kids play games for free and then turn in their tickets to get all their school supplies :) 

• Quote Reply
  • la_bella_vita
  • by Silver Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 1:44 PM
  • I've been thinking about doing this....I'm going to do it now

Quoting mrswillie: We had a supply cabinet that was always stocked with the basics. If they needed something special, we would get it.

• Quote Reply
  • mrswillie
  • by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 1:46 PM
  • We had 4 in school.at the same time. I stocked on sales and clearance. We always had what we needed.

Quoting la_bella_vita:

I've been thinking about doing this....I'm going to do it now

Quoting mrswillie: We had a supply cabinet that was always stocked with the basics. If they needed something special, we would get it.

• Quote Reply
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)