Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Do your kids wear uniforms to school?

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:47 PM
  • 40 Replies

If so, do they like them? Do you like them? Cheaper or more expensive than if they didn't wear uniforms?

by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
la_bella_vita
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:57 PM

No, if they did, I would be fine with it

melliburger
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 1:55 AM

Nope.

MaddieLainesMom
by Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 3:31 AM

Yes, my DD does. Neither of us are big fans. DD changed schools when we moved states after going to a school without uniforms for Kindergarten. It was a hard change for her. Especially with a kid who doesn't like school anyway. It probably saves time in the morning, but she complains a lot about not being able to wear her cute, new clothes to school -- something that used to make her excited to go in Kindergarten. It's more expensive for us because it requires that I buy two sets of clothes -- school uniform clothes on top of clothes for after school and on the weekends. I enjoy buying dresses and cute outfits for my little girl almost as much as she enjoys dressing up. It's much less exciting to buy solid color polo shirts and dress pants. So, I always end up with an excess of "not at school" clothes and then have to buy uniforms on top of that. 

barbie_girl870
by Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 3:49 AM

yes they have to wear uniforms here i think my son looks cute in them but they are more expensive and the schools are very picky it has to be exactly perfect all the way to the shoes

StreetsAhead
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 3:57 AM
Yes, I live in the UK and that is what every school does no matter what type.
I don't mind them and neither do they - as I said it is just part of school here.
His school is better than some - we just have to buy the jumper, polo shirt and pe kit from the school. More expensive than if we bought from a normal shop as they have the badge on but I have heard of far worse prices. When he was in primary he could just where uniform without the badge so we could buy the polo shirts and jumpers in the correct colours from any shop - department shops, supermarkets.
bellawomen
by Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 4:04 AM
I used to be opposed to uniforms thinking it wouldn't allow for individuality. My son attends a uniform school and we love it. We buy polos through the OTO for $8 a piece and they are super comfy and great quality. We buy shorts elsewhere. I used to buy pants but he hates them so it was a waste of money. So now I buy just one pair each year on the off chance he decides to wear them one day.

Definitely way cheaper.
BonitaM
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 6:07 AM
No dd doesn't have to where a uniform.
wandep
by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 8:21 AM

No, but sometimes I wish they did. LOL

Manth
by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 8:34 AM

My kids are no longer in school (both at University) but yes, while they were at school they had uniforms every year from Reception (Kindergarten) onwards.  Pretty much EVERY school in South Australia requires uniforms of the students, whether it's a public school or a private one.

I found it worked well.  No arguments about what to wear.  No agonising over what was a 'cute enough' outfit for them in High School.  On field trips, it made it REALLY easy to see where the kids were because everyone was dressed the same.  I also saved a bundle on casual clothing because I didn't have to get The Right Brands to wear to school only to have them trashed by a careless kid!  Yes, the uniforms were slightly more expensive than the basic-brand clothing in a department store but they were MUCH better quality so they lasted really well.  The schools they went to had a Uniform Shop where you could sell your gently-used but grown-out-of uniforms to families who didn't necessarily want to shell out for brand-new clothing every year that the kid would grow out of in six months!  They tended not to change out of their uniforms when they came home from school, so the amount of laundry I had to do didn't change, either.

My older DD (19 and a 3rd year Engineering student) actually had a hard time dealing with the need to choose her own clothing every day when she first left school!  She solved it by getting several pairs of similar pants and a bunch of T-shirts with geeky slogans - instant, self-chosen uniform.  She doesn't wear skirts by preference, so that worked really well for her.

My younger DD is a bit of a Clothes Horse, but really likes gently-used thrift-shop finds that she alters to fit her personality, or choosing fabric at the sewing store to make her own things to suit her moods.  She's a 1st year Science student but doesn't let that limit her options except to the point of wearing sensible enclosed shoes and long sleeves on days when she has a practical class.

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 9:03 AM
No pjs for part of it we homeschool lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN