Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Back to school events?

Posted by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 2:17 PM
  • 25 Replies

Just got the email that our school's annual "Popsicles with the Principal" will be happening next week... It's something that every kid at the primary school looks forward to as part of kicking off the new school year. The principal and some of the school's adminstrative staff spend an evening at the playground offering popsicles to the kids. It's a chance for kids to reconnect with classmates, and for parents to chat with one another as well. A very nice (and very simple) event.

I know many have already gone back to school for the year, but even so... Does your school have any kind of welcome back event?

by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 2:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 3:57 PM
not back to school beach party tomorrow in our homeschool grp
wandep
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 4:15 PM

We just have school orientation. That sounds like fun tho.

SarahSuzyQ
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Fun! Are you going to the beach for the party? I didn't realize you were homeschooling.

Quoting ablackdolphin: not back to school beach party tomorrow in our homeschool grp

SarahSuzyQ
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 4:24 PM

They do a separate open house for kids to visit teachers/classrooms. I really like the way the school tries to do small things to create a sense of community... Like every spring they host an ice cream social that is both a fundraiser and a big social happening for kids and families. :)

When is/was your kids' orientation?

Quoting wandep:

wandep
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 4:28 PM

Today. We found out who our teachers were. They start back on Monday.

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

They do a separate open house for kids to visit teachers/classrooms. I really like the way the school tries to do small things to create a sense of community... Like every spring they host an ice cream social that is both a fundraiser and a big social happening for kids and families. :)

Quoting wandep:

SarahSuzyQ
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 5:29 PM

Are you happy with the teachers they were assigned? Are the kids?

I'm thankful that my son's school notifies all the kids of their teacher assignments for the year during the last week of school. It makes for a much easier transition for the young ones who are attached to the old teacher and feeling sad about saying goodbye.

Quoting wandep:

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

Quoting wandep:

wandep
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 5:42 PM
1 mom liked this

That is great that they do it like that. Yes, we are very happy. We were worried that dd would get ds's teacher from 3rd grade since she has always gotten his teachers in previous years. LOL So glad she didn't this time. She was happy too. :) They both had a few friends from last year but DD's best friend wasn't in her class. It is okay she will meet new friends too. There is a girl in her class that has the same name as her. Should be interesting. LOL

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

Are you happy with the teachers they were assigned? Are the kids?

I'm thankful that my son's school notifies all the kids of their teacher assignments for the year during the last week of school. It makes for a much easier transition for the young ones who are attached to the old teacher and feeling sad about saying goodbye.

Quoting wandep:

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

Quoting wandep:

Janet
by Ruby Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 7:52 PM

We had back to school orientation today. They gave the kids pizza and treats.

SarahSuzyQ
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 7:56 PM

It's nice to make that kind of thing fun. I don't remember having much orientation excitement when I was a kid!

What grade are your kiddos going into? When does school start?

Quoting Janet:

We had back to school orientation today. They gave the kids pizza and treats.

momofnatalie
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 8:01 PM
No nothing planned for her preschool.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)