Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

The Smelly Truth

By ReneeJRoss on Aug. 15, 2014 at 12:00 AM

I am the proud mother of a seven year old and am clinging on for dear life to maintain his status as “my baby.” But my only child is quickly growing up and although he will always be a baby in my eyes, he is quickly become a young man. I remember being told that time flies and to cherish these years. I do. But as I watch him grow, the 365 days of each year seem to go by quicker and quicker. 

Which leads me to the truth that I want to keep at bay and I’m sure many of you with older children are already facing - puberty is on the horizon! As children get older that start to develop some odors (smelly armpits for the win) that are less than ideal.

So what to do? Well, I spoke to a pediatrician yesterday and was told that smelly armpits are not necessarily an indication of puberty. A child’s body is constantly changing and one who has smelly armpits one day may not have them on another. But if your child does have body odor here are a few options:

1. Be sure they are washing daily, with soap! This may seem obvious but kids are notorious for getting in the bath or shower and simply playing. Be sure to ask your child if they washed using soap, especially the smelly areas.

2. Purchase a deodorant. Add deodorant to the list of back to school items for your child. Not an antiperspirant designed to stop sweat, but simply an deodorant. You might have to a trial and error of sorts because not all deodorants work for every body!

3. With an older child, couple the deodorant with a body spray. For teens and even some tweens, having a “cologne” or “perfume” can help assist them with body odor.

Although these items are not classically considered for back to school, I think they are good to remember because body odor is never good. Back to school or otherwise!

Tell me, what types of soap and/or deodorants and body sprays do you use for your child? Have they been effective?

ReneeJRoss About :
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
  • slw123
  • by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 7:43 AM
  • We started having the kids put on deodorant after 3rd grade whether they needed it or not.  I help out in the classrooms and every time I walk into the 4th grade classrooms they are stinky.

• Quote Reply
  • mrswillie
  • by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 7:51 AM
  • Yuck.

Quoting slw123:

We started having the kids put on deodorant after 3rd grade whether they needed it or not.  I help out in the classrooms and every time I walk into the 4th grade classrooms they are stinky.

• Quote Reply
  • Kmakksmom
  • by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 12:51 PM
  • We have plenty of bar soaps, body washes, deodorants and "smell good" stuff for us and our kids. There should be no excuses for them to not smell nice at all times.
  • Quote Reply
  • Sisteract
  • by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 1:54 PM

• Quoting Kmakksmom: We have plenty of bar soaps, body washes, deodorants and "smell good" stuff for us and our kids. There should be no excuses for them to not smell nice at all times.

This

• Quote Reply
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN