Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Do You Have a Child with Food Allergies?

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 1:04 PM
  • 14 Replies

4-Year-Old Almost Dies on Airplane When Passenger Opens Bag of Nuts

by Suzee Skwiot

peanuts

Parents, you will go to great lengths to protect your children and make sure they're healthy and safe. But sometimes, all it takes is one jerk who won't listen to precautions and the child's life is in danger. Take the scary story of 4-year-old Fae Platten, who was flying home after vacation. The little girl has a severe nut allergy, and despite warnings from crew and staff, one passenger opened a bag of peanuts on the airplane. The child had a severe allergic reaction and went into anaphylactic shock.

According to her mother, Fae began feeling sick just 20 minutes into the flight and later stopped breathing and lost consciousness. Luckily, with the help of some medically trained professionals on-board, the little girl was revived with an injection.

As for the passenger who opened the peanuts, even though he was warned multiple times of the child's allergies? Well, he's banned from the airline for the next two years. Serves him right and might even be a little light of a punishment.

But it just goes to show, parents: you can go the extra mile, bring necessary medications, alert the flight crew, make sure everyone's aware that this is a very serious allergy. But then one single jerk can put everything on the line because he just had to have peanuts.

It's the epitome of selfishness. A severe food allergy is not a sensitivity or a mild annoyance. It's a serious, life-threatening allergy that strikes quickly and intensely. It's not something to joke around with or test.

In a world where about one in 25 children has a peanut allergy (it's the most common food allergy in the country), it's common enough that these precautions need to be taken seriously and shouldn't be compromised. Parents of kids like Fae aren't trying to make your life harder by asking you not to pack PB&J in your kid's lunch.

They're fighting for their kids' lives.

Parents of kids with allergies can't keep their kids locked in bubbles (though it'd be so much easier, wouldn't it?). On the other hand, they can try to institute these rules for different buildings and places, but the really scary part is that you can't make people follow them. It's a terrifying thought, but all it takes it that one idiot who thinks he's above it all in order to compromise a child's health.

Certainly something to think about when your kid's school sends home that "allergy rules" list, isn't it?

Do you have a child with a severe food allergy? What do you do to keep them safe?

by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 1:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofnatalie
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 1:13 PM
My Dd has a dairy allergy and my oldest Dd is allergic to peanuts and eggs. They have mild allergic reactions, welts, swollen lips. We always ask when we got out about ingredients and wipe all tables and areas where they are eating. We haven't traveled by plane yet.
PeachQuean
by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 1:18 PM
Wonder if the passenger now understands why they warned everyone....

Always one idiot in the crowd.

I have two kids who have slight allergies to anything that's acidic. Tomatoes, so pasta sauces, ketchup, plumb sauces, peaches etc....

But I still.let them eat it, it builds up their systems to tolerate it. They still get hives on occasion but that's it.

othermom
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 2:21 PM

No none of my kids have serious allergies. It is sad that people don't listen to warnings

EarlGrayHot
by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 3:20 PM

I may have a cat with food allergies.  However, I think it's unlikely that a bag of peanuts opened would cause such a reaction.  I suspect this is an exaggeration.  Frankly, I think people should be able to eat some peanuts on a plane because God knows there is precious little food available on planes these days.  Perhaps the little girl should be wearing a mask if she is so allergic. 

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 3:31 PM
jerk should get attempted manslauter charges. His negligence caused harm almost death. Hope they sue him.
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 3:32 PM
No life threatening allergies here thankfully
wandep
by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 3:32 PM

I don't.

mewebb82
by Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 3:35 PM
I've wondered why airlines still pass out peanuts as a snack instead of crackers or something safer.
My youngest has a milk protein allergy and my oldest is allergic to pineapple.
kmqw229
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 8:24 PM
My daughter is lactose intolerant and my hubby is allergic to shellfish.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kmqw229
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 8:24 PM
I agree

Quoting mewebb82: I've wondered why airlines still pass out peanuts as a snack instead of crackers or something safer.
My youngest has a milk protein allergy and my oldest is allergic to pineapple.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN