Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Is it normal to have a lot of accidents while potty training??

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 10:49 PM
  • 17 Replies

So I've started the bare bottom potty training today and I was wondering if it's normal to have a lot of accidents the first day? My daughter is 2 and she will sit on the potty until she goes but not often. She usually will sit there then get off go play and 2 minutes later start to pee on the floor but if I hurry and pick her up she will stop until I get her to the potty is this normal??

by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 10:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
virginiamama71
by Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 10:55 PM

yes this is normal.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 12:31 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Silver Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 12:02 AM

Sounds normal yes :)

Quoting Michellesg1221:

So I've started the bare bottom potty training today and I was wondering if it's normal to have a lot of accidents the first day? My daughter is 2 and she will sit on the potty until she goes but not often. She usually will sit there then get off go play and 2 minutes later start to pee on the floor but if I hurry and pick her up she will stop until I get her to the potty is this normal??

momofnatalie
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 12:45 AM

I tried this with my DD at that age too.  She had tons of accidents.  I was mopping lots of puddles for a week. She wouldn't sit on the potty either.  I finally put it off and tried every few months.  Finally at 3, she decided she wanted to sit on the potty after I bought her underwear she wanted to wear.  So after that, she only had one accident when she forgot to go but she trained so quickly.  I think with my second, I will wait until she shows signs she is ready, it was much easier that way. 

melliburger
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 1:41 AM

Yes I think it's normal.

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 8:24 AM
sounds normal
barbie_girl870
by Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 8:30 AM

my son did that alot it took a few months to get him to stop

SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 9:10 AM
Yes, that's normal. It will take her a little time to get it. Be patient.
athorne
by Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 10:05 AM
All children will have that problem every once on a while. It's new thing for them and it will take them a while to figure things out. Eventually she will be able to tell when she has to go. Then before you know it, she will do great!
clairewait
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 10:59 AM

I think it is normal - though I will say, when mine were actually ready to potty train, we didn't have many accidents. My first didn't have ANY. My second, it maybe lasted a few days and they were infrequent.

I think one of the readiness signs for us was that my kids would actually HOLD IT all day instead of having an accident, and then wait for a diaper if they could have one (like at naptime or nighttime). We finally said NO MORE DIAPERS AT ALL and they used the potty.

I know a lot of moms who are willing to go through weeks of potty training just to start a little early and get it done - but I sort of am of the opinion that if it is taking weeks, my child isn't ready. When they were ready, it happened in a matter of days and no more accidents after that.

One was almost 3. One was right at 2 (and a younger sister so I think that helped).

othermom
by Silver Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 11:56 AM

Yes it can be normal or she may not be ready

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)