Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

What age did you stop bathing/showering with your kids?

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2014 at 1:06 PM
  • 161 Replies
2 moms liked this
Hey moms! So just curious on what age you all stopped taking baths or showering with your kids? My daughter will be 4 at the end of November, and sometimes she showers with me which doesn't feel weird or inappropriate at all yet. The other night when she was in the bath she asked me if I would come in the tub with her, I said ok and we had fun playing in the bubble bath. Again it didn't feel weird or inappropriate at all. But it did make me think, at what should I stop? This past bubble bath was the 1st time in a loonnnggg time that she's wanted me in there, and part of me feels like she will stop asking and it won't be an issue but either way I was curious to others experiences.
TIA
by on Aug. 18, 2014 at 1:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Serabeth06
by on Aug. 18, 2014 at 1:17 PM
5 moms liked this

I think it really just depends on the maturity and desire for privacy of the child. I still occasionally will step in the shower with my DD, she's 7, but for the most part she showers on her own. As she has expressed a desire for privacy in the bathroom (not wanting her brother in there when she's not dressed) we knock before going in, and if I need to jump in the shower I ask her first.

oliveoil423
by Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 1:52 PM
Depends on the kid.

My daughter is 21 months but i wont be bathing with her but when it comes to showers yes so she kbows how to operate the showers and how to wash her hair etc. Then i would just tell her its time to shower on your own.
Momofmenagerie
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 2:20 PM
2 moms liked this
I actually have never bathed with my children and they only bathed together a time or two.

I only bathed with my mother once out of sheer necessity on a vacation.

I'd be interested in others opinions as this a subsection of parenting I was never exposed to.
Mommy2Boys0900
by Unique Yanique on Aug. 18, 2014 at 3:46 PM
1 mom liked this
I never bathed with my children.
My oldest son, I think he was around 5 or 6 when I stopped bathing him. He started taking showers around 8 years old.
My youngest son is 5 and I still bathe him. I don't feel he is ready to bathe himself just yet.
MellowMum330
by New Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 3:51 PM
1 mom liked this
I have boys- so when they were 1-2 and started asking where my penis is I stopped. Lol. My husband was never comfortable with bathing with them.
DKk0531
by on Aug. 18, 2014 at 3:52 PM
I never have bathed with my youngest.

My oldest the only time I did was when she was a baby, she hated bath time and the only way to bathe her was taking her in the shower with me, it calmed her. That stopped at about 6 months old. She's 4 now, takes showers occasionally baths but I still wash her up
mewebb82
by Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 3:54 PM
2 moms liked this
My oldest son was about 4 when he started to get uncomfortable with showering with me. My daughter is almost 8 and still showers with me on occasion and my 20 month old showers with me regularly. I've never had a set age really. I just allow it for as long as they want to and until it becomes uncomfortable.
BonitaM
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 3:55 PM

I have never showered/bathed with DD.  She started asking for privacy at age 5 she'll be 9 next month and I still tell her to leave the door unlocked just in case she falls or something.  I don't go in to check on her but if I hear a big bang it's easy to get to her.

CaptD2
by on Aug. 18, 2014 at 3:57 PM
My boys are four and two and they bathe together. They haven't bathed with me since my oldest was about 2 1/2. My oldest still bathes with DH occasionally but it's rare.
If they are ready, I'll probably let them bathe alone when each reaches five or six.
screamingmom87
by on Aug. 18, 2014 at 4:24 PM
1 mom liked this

because she is your daughter I dont see the big deal. There to young for it to be awkward for her. My son is 14 months old and i recently was in the tub with him when he poked my nipple repeatedly lol if your daughter strarts doing that id say bath time with kid is over. and if you both can get clean and save some time doing it by doing it together im all for saving time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)