Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Getting Into The Back To School Routine

By AngellaD on Aug. 19, 2014 at 12:00 AM

As I mentioned in my last post, my kids go back to school in September -- two weeks from today! While we're soaking up our last two weeks of summer, it's time to start getting ready for our school year routine. The school supplies have been puchased, sorted, and labeled. The main thing we have to do now is to get our sleep/wake cycles back to normal.

When our kids were younger, summer just meant living the same routine in a warmer climate. Now that they're older (Third Grade, Fifth Grade, and Seventh Grade), they can stay up later and they sleep in longer. (That SO did not happen when they were younger. If they stayed up late, they didn't sleep in, and the following day would be full of tears and frustration.)(They didn't handle it well either.)

As we near the start of the school year, we start moving bedtime back by fifteen minutes every day or two, so that when school starts, 8 p.m. is lights out instead of 10 p.m. I've also started meal planning again, which makes me feel more in control of our day and helps us eat more veggies and less chips.

What do you do to get back into your back-to-school routine? 

AngellaD About :
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
  • goddess99
  • by Michelle on Aug. 19, 2014 at 12:51 PM
  • We start going to bed earlier as well, I'm planning what snacks to have in the house because dd is always "starving" when she gets home. Cleaning off her desk so she's ready for the dreaded homework.

• Quote Reply
  • Jinxed8
  • by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 2:27 PM
  •  In the past I've always tried to keep DD on the same schedule summer or school year it was just simpler this way.  She has day camp, I still had to make lunches and keep a certain routine with dinner time etc  but this year, she's older (nearly 11), more independant and all her little friends stay up WAY late, we've also had a lot of special occasions this summer like company, house guests, vacation, outings. So this summer her normal bedtime was 9pm and special bed times were whenever.  Waking up was 8am on the weeks she had camp (which was 1 week our of 2 only)  meals were loosely planned and executed, often last minute we'd throw something on the grill.

Getting back to the routine is gonna suck !   It means, planning my menu on the weekend for the entire week including lunches and dinners.  it means start planning my dinner the night before, start prepping on my lunch hour and have the dinner served no later than 5h30 so we can do homework 6pm to 7pm - 7pm is DD shower, brush teeth & hair, Pjs and winding down time (while I make her lunch for the next day, do the dishes, and clean up) - and ultimately 8pm is lights out. 6 am is the wake up call the next morning bus at 6h45am and the whole thing starts all over again - blerch

• Quote Reply
  • ceciliam
  • by on Aug. 19, 2014 at 3:01 PM
  • Our sleep schedule stays the same all year long. Even in the summer we are up at 7am.

I still have to finish getting school supplies and we need to go shoe shopping.

• Quote Reply
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN