Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

My son refuses to sleep!!

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2014 at 7:33 AM
  • 18 Replies

Not only does my 8 month old not want to sleep through the night, but he won't nap either! He's a very happy baby, thankfully, but when I lay him down to nap, he will only sleep for about a half hour in his crib.  Then at night, he will sleep for about three hours. After that, he wants mom. The only way I can ever get him to sleep well is when he is being held. Short of just letting him sit in his crib and cry, I don't know what to do with him.

by on Aug. 19, 2014 at 7:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wandep
by on Aug. 19, 2014 at 7:36 AM

Does he sleep with a binky? He might be wanting something to sooth him.

mel.mary
by New Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 7:50 AM
1 mom liked this

He has never wanted a binky, and won't take a bottle. It's mom, or nothing.

othermom
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 11:42 AM

Maybe try having him sleep with a shirt of yours or something elsewith your scent on it

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 11:54 AM

My DD was like that ; I know it's heart breaking for  you but I would let him "tough it out" no naps is one thing but sleeping through the night is a must, and mom caving in will just created a mega monster-problem child later on.  That's my take on it. 

If I bent to my DD's wants when she was a baby she would have never slept alone, fallen asleep on her own and would have stayed attached to me permanently.   it creates more problems after with babysitters or if you must go away over night, if you just want to have an evening at home with friends without having a baby surgically attached to you ! trust me on that one, bite the bullet, you will be thankful later

SarahSuzyQ
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 1:21 PM
I think you could start leaving him in his crib when he wakes up but maybe holding his hand through the bars. Then just being in the same room and talking quietly to remind him to go back to sleep. And continuing to back off a little bit at a time, so he learns that it is bedtime and maybe gets some skills in self soothing. I think you can do that without CIO, it's just going to take a bit to wean him.
momofnatalie
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 1:47 PM

Its a tough stage.  When DD was going through this stage we really tried to stay on a schedule and get her moving and playing when she was awake.  We found when she was more active, she slept better.  When she awoke up at night, we would wait a few minutes to see if she would go back to sleep.  If not we wouldn't pick her up but pat her lightly on the chest or back.  We would then turn on her forest sounds and she would normally go back to sleep.  Hugs, its tough on everyone.

EarlGrayHot
by on Aug. 19, 2014 at 2:35 PM

If you are rushing in there when he cries, don't.  They need to decompress and a little whing and crying is the way.  Of course, if there was something wrong (fire, flood, alien invasion) then yes, rush in. And yes, my daughter always had animals with her.  to this day she still keeps her one favorite bear in the bed and she just got her doctorate!  It's a little something to remind you of home and love.

melliburger
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 2:18 AM

:( We've had sleep troubles here too. I have no suggestions though :(

Maialove
by on Aug. 20, 2014 at 4:16 AM
2 moms liked this

My daughter was the same. She'd only nap in my arms, if i put her down, she'd wake up in 20 minutes. First part of the night she'd spend in the crib, but after about 3 hours she'd wake up and end up in our bed. We never did anything about it, we mainly wanted her to feel secure. At about 2, she started sleeping through the night in her bed, occasionally coming in ours. She's now 4 years old and barely comes anymore, only when she has a bad dream or a bad night. We were never bothered when she came, we kind of miss her now that she doesn't anymore. Also, we always read to her and stay with her until she falls asleep, even to this day. She is able to fall asleep on her own, but we all enjoy this ritual and watching her pretty eyes as she falls asleep. Children are not manipulators!

justone_jen
by on Aug. 20, 2014 at 4:37 AM
1 mom liked this
At eight months, I was definitely still nursing on demand. There's no way I'd leave a child that young to cry it out. My instincts don't allow for it. Bed sharing worked for us, and everyone got sleep.

Your kid is normal. There's really nothing to fix.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN