Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

My son refuses to sleep!!

Posted by   + Show Post

Not only does my 8 month old not want to sleep through the night, but he won't nap either! He's a very happy baby, thankfully, but when I lay him down to nap, he will only sleep for about a half hour in his crib.  Then at night, he will sleep for about three hours. After that, he wants mom. The only way I can ever get him to sleep well is when he is being held. Short of just letting him sit in his crib and cry, I don't know what to do with him.

by on Aug. 19, 2014 at 7:33 AM
Replies (11-18):
justone_jen
by on Aug. 20, 2014 at 4:45 AM
I disagree. Responding to your child's needs doesn't automatically breed a monster. An eight month old needing mama in the middle of the night isn't a want. It's a valid need.

It's heartbreaking for a mother to ignore her child's cries because it goes against her maternal instincts. You know, the things we listened to before doctors and authors told us we were doing it wrong.

Quoting Jinxed8:

My DD was like that ; I know it's heart breaking for  you but I would let him "tough it out" no naps is one thing but sleeping through the night is a must, and mom caving in will just created a mega monster-problem child later on.  That's my take on it. 

If I bent to my DD's wants when she was a baby she would have never slept alone, fallen asleep on her own and would have stayed attached to me permanently.   it creates more problems after with babysitters or if you must go away over night, if you just want to have an evening at home with friends without having a baby surgically attached to you ! trust me on that one, bite the bullet, you will be thankful later

kmqw229
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 8:58 AM
I always cosleep with my babies & we both sleep much better!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 10:20 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Silver Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 9:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Aww .. well both sides have been stated here,
You'll have to decide what is best for you & your little one.
Good luck & hugs to you :)

othermom
by Silver Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 10:37 AM

My son was like that at night and I did finalyl let him fuss a little before going in to just rub his back to calm him. My youngest was even worse and a hoddible sleeper and didn't sleep through the night till she was over a year old, she is almost 5 and still wakes up occasionally.

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 1:52 PM

At 8 months the child should be sleeping through the night.  It's one thing if your baby is having a nightmare or is in pain , it's another if it's a nightly routine.  

My DD is the queen of manipulation I've been through this charade many MANY times with her at ALL ages and she's 10 now.   DD tries different scenarios at night time. And she gives up when she realizes I won't latch on.  From faking pain, to faking nightmares, to being scared, to "weird noises".   (and how do I know it's fake? because I've cured her ailments with hand lotion and tic tacs, stopped the nightmares with water, prooved her noize theory to be fake, all problems dissapearing when a friend sleeps over,  and ultimately her admitting that she was faking it to get attention.   Maybe that's why I may seem "harsh" to you.  To each their own, she was asking for opinions , I gave her mine.  The choice is hers. 

Quoting justone_jen: I disagree. Responding to your child's needs doesn't automatically breed a monster. An eight month old needing mama in the middle of the night isn't a want. It's a valid need. It's heartbreaking for a mother to ignore her child's cries because it goes against her maternal instincts. You know, the things we listened to before doctors and authors told us we were doing it wrong.
Quoting Jinxed8:

My DD was like that ; I know it's heart breaking for  you but I would let him "tough it out" no naps is one thing but sleeping through the night is a must, and mom caving in will just created a mega monster-problem child later on.  That's my take on it. 

If I bent to my DD's wants when she was a baby she would have never slept alone, fallen asleep on her own and would have stayed attached to me permanently.   it creates more problems after with babysitters or if you must go away over night, if you just want to have an evening at home with friends without having a baby surgically attached to you ! trust me on that one, bite the bullet, you will be thankful later

justone_jen
by on Aug. 21, 2014 at 2:02 PM
It is absolutely normal for an eight month old to wake at night.

I don't care what you did with your kid. You said she'd create a monster by responding to her eight month old. I'm saying that isn't true. You also said it'd be heartbreaking for her, and I'm saying it's heartbreaking because it goes against our instincts. I'm not at all saying you shouldn't share your opinion. :)

Quoting Jinxed8:

At 8 months the child should be sleeping through the night.  It's one thing if your baby is having a nightmare or is in pain , it's another if it's a nightly routine.  

My DD is the queen of manipulation I've been through this charade many MANY times with her at ALL ages and she's 10 now.   DD tries different scenarios at night time. And she gives up when she realizes I won't latch on.  From faking pain, to faking nightmares, to being scared, to "weird noises".   (and how do I know it's fake? because I've cured her ailments with hand lotion and tic tacs, stopped the nightmares with water, prooved her noize theory to be fake, all problems dissapearing when a friend sleeps over,  and ultimately her admitting that she was faking it to get attention.   Maybe that's why I may seem "harsh" to you.  To each their own, she was asking for opinions , I gave her mine.  The choice is hers. 

Quoting justone_jen: I disagree. Responding to your child's needs doesn't automatically breed a monster. An eight month old needing mama in the middle of the night isn't a want. It's a valid need. It's heartbreaking for a mother to ignore her child's cries because it goes against her maternal instincts. You know, the things we listened to before doctors and authors told us we were doing it wrong.

Quoting Jinxed8:

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 2:18 PM

Well she said clearly her son will not sleep unless he's in her arms, to me it's a question of habits.  Of course little babies need their moms ...   I'm just saying with the expression "creating a Monster" that she's caving in , she risks ending up with a 9 year old who still sleeps with her every night, or who will not sleep elsewhere, I've seen it !! 

Quoting justone_jen: It is absolutely normal for an eight month old to wake at night. I don't care what you did with your kid. You said she'd create a monster by responding to her eight month old. I'm saying that isn't true. You also said it'd be heartbreaking for her, and I'm saying it's heartbreaking because it goes against our instincts. I'm not at all saying you shouldn't share your opinion. :)
Quoting Jinxed8:

Quoting Jinxed8:

Janet
by Ruby Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 2:20 PM
My daughter was the same as yours. I totally agree with you!

Quoting Maialove:

My daughter was the same. She'd only nap in my arms, if i put her down, she'd wake up in 20 minutes. First part of the night she'd spend in the crib, but after about 3 hours she'd wake up and end up in our bed. We never did anything about it, we mainly wanted her to feel secure. At about 2, she started sleeping through the night in her bed, occasionally coming in ours. She's now 4 years old and barely comes anymore, only when she has a bad dream or a bad night. We were never bothered when she came, we kind of miss her now that she doesn't anymore. Also, we always read to her and stay with her until she falls asleep, even to this day. She is able to fall asleep on her own, but we all enjoy this ritual and watching her pretty eyes as she falls asleep. Children are not manipulators!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)