Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

My Child is Different & I've Never Been Prouder

By TruthfulMommy on Aug. 20, 2014 at 10:25 AM

Something happened at school this week that surprised me but not really. It was a definite proud mommy moment and I’m even prouder because my girls didn’t tell me about it someone else did.

Since my girls were tiny, I’ve taught them not to stare or make assumptions when they see someone who is different from themselves or disabled.  I’ve always encouraged them to ask me any questions that they might have and we’ve always discussed the situation. I’ve encouraged them to embrace differences in themselves and others. My main objective was to teach them that just because someone might look or act different than we do, we are all human beings on the inside and every human deserves to enjoy certain human rights, dignity and respect.

Last night, another parent told me that we have 3 new disabled children at our school. They are in my 7-year-old daughter's class. She has not mentioned it; not even once which I found kind of boggling because she runs home and gives me a detailed account of her day every day, as soon as she steps back into the car. In fact, regularly, our ride home consists of both girls rattling off every single minute detail of their day and every person they encountered. I find it comforting that they are so open with me. But my daughters have not mentioned these new girls, not once.

This morning as we were having our morning cuddles I asked her if she has met the three new girls at school this year. We go to a Catholic school where everyone knows everyone because the community is so interconnected between school and church, so 3 new students would definitely not go unnoticed. My 7-year-old looked at me, very nonchalantly and said, "Yeah, they're nice. I like them." Then I asked, " Why didn't you tell me about the new girls at school?" To which she and her sister looked at me like I was asking a dumb question. Then my 7-year-old said, "Because they're just kids mom." And then she went on about getting ready.

You see, why can't the entire world be like my daughters. I am so proud of them both. They just see kids. They don't see differences or special needs, they see kids and they treat them just like the other kids and I love that. I hope this follows them throughout their entire life. I hope they never forget that on the inside we are all the same. Human beings= human beings; the end. 

What has been the one thing your child has done that has made you feel proud of the tiny human you are raising?

Image via iStock

TruthfulMommy About :
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
  • SarahSuzyQ
  • by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 3:02 PM
  • That's lovely.

I was proud of my son today for stepping back and letting a younger kid with his mom have the first turn on a slide. He didn't have to do it, but he had already had several turns and saw that the little one was excited.
  • Quote Reply
  • momof3cuteboysz
  • by Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 6:59 PM
  • very nice, I would be proud too, that must hav emade your heart just melt, my sons come and ask me about things they notice about disabled children too because their aunt my sister in law works with disabled children and we go to the lake with her and her clients and out to eat and even just hang out at our house with her andher clients at times it puts them in social situations and they learn to open up and see that they are not all that different from anyone.

• Quote Reply
  • MaddieLainesMom
  • by Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 9:27 PM
  • That's awesome! I would have been proud were that my DD too! I had a proud momma moment earlier this week, actually. My DD was nominated by some girls at her dance studio to take the ALS ice bucket challenge. My SO and I talked about it and agreed to donate the full $100 on her behalf since she agreed to dump ice water on her head. When she was getting ready she surprised us both by saying, "Mommy, I'm going to donate my tooth fairy money since I lost another tooth today. Do you think it's OK if it's not a lot?" This isn't the first time she's collected her tooth fairy money to donate to causes, either. She's given all the rest of it to St. Jude's after seeing the commercials. Definitely a moment when you step back in awe of your kid!

• Quote Reply
  • Deannie1258
  • by Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 9:33 PM
  • As one with a disability. I applaud you for raising your children to not be afraid of people that might have disabilities. I'd much rather have some one ask me about my disabling then point are stare as they some times do. Sounds like you have beautiful girls with a big heart. Hugs Deannie
  • Quote Reply
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN