Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

My Child is Different & I've Never Been Prouder

Posted by   + Show Post

Something happened at school this week that surprised me but not really. It was a definite proud mommy moment and I’m even prouder because my girls didn’t tell me about it someone else did.

Since my girls were tiny, I’ve taught them not to stare or make assumptions when they see someone who is different from themselves or disabled.  I’ve always encouraged them to ask me any questions that they might have and we’ve always discussed the situation. I’ve encouraged them to embrace differences in themselves and others. My main objective was to teach them that just because someone might look or act different than we do, we are all human beings on the inside and every human deserves to enjoy certain human rights, dignity and respect.

Last night, another parent told me that we have 3 new disabled children at our school. They are in my 7-year-old daughter's class. She has not mentioned it; not even once which I found kind of boggling because she runs home and gives me a detailed account of her day every day, as soon as she steps back into the car. In fact, regularly, our ride home consists of both girls rattling off every single minute detail of their day and every person they encountered. I find it comforting that they are so open with me. But my daughters have not mentioned these new girls, not once.

This morning as we were having our morning cuddles I asked her if she has met the three new girls at school this year. We go to a Catholic school where everyone knows everyone because the community is so interconnected between school and church, so 3 new students would definitely not go unnoticed. My 7-year-old looked at me, very nonchalantly and said, "Yeah, they're nice. I like them." Then I asked, " Why didn't you tell me about the new girls at school?" To which she and her sister looked at me like I was asking a dumb question. Then my 7-year-old said, "Because they're just kids mom." And then she went on about getting ready.

You see, why can't the entire world be like my daughters. I am so proud of them both. They just see kids. They don't see differences or special needs, they see kids and they treat them just like the other kids and I love that. I hope this follows them throughout their entire life. I hope they never forget that on the inside we are all the same. Human beings= human beings; the end. 

What has been the one thing your child has done that has made you feel proud of the tiny human you are raising?

Image via iStock

TruthfulMommy About :
Replies (51-54):
  • TigerofMu
  • by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2014 at 8:34 AM
  • Wonderful :).  We have several compassionate hearts in our household, and they always try to reach out and bring people in, or to comfort people who are hurting.

• Quote Reply
  • celestegood
  • by Gold Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 12:42 PM
  • My twelve year old son goes to school with a boy who has language issues. Apparently, he needs/uses an ipad to talk, and he refuses to use his voice around people who aren't his mom and dad and one sibling. If he talks, its very low mumbling and few words. My son got close to him, and he talks to my son-apparently, my son decided to befriend this boy, and they have trained my son to use the software on the ipad so my son can help this boy do well in school.
    I am very proud of him embracing people that are different than him-but he doesn't seem to think its a big deal. He just liked the boy, and wanted to be his friend.
    Posted on CafeMom Mobile
  • Quote Reply
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN