Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Fallen tree

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2014 at 9:29 PM
  • 8 Replies

So a tree that is on our property right on the property line fell over into our neighbors yard.  We really don't talk to them at all.  Long story, but they seem to be friends with our other neighbors across the street (the mom of two boys who get arrested all the time, including heroin) so we've stayed away from these neighbors as well.

It's not a huge tree and can easily be cut with a small chain saw.

I started researching and was surprised to realize it's really not our issue.  You are responsible for anything that falls into your yard, even if it's on your home, etc. (Which this is not) They will have to pay for the clean up of the tree.

What worries me about knowing this is that some other neighbors behind us have HUGE trees in their back yard that tower over our house. Scary if they ever get sick or die and they don't remove them.

Have you ever had this happen to you before?

by on Aug. 20, 2014 at 9:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
momofnatalie
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 9:38 PM

No, we haven't,  We have huge trees surrounding us so I hope they don't fall on our property.  We don't have any trees in our yard just bushes. 

BonitaM
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 9:53 PM
We have large tees and fortunately our yard was spared when a small tornado went through our town. I'd get DH to cut up the tree and remove it from our neighbors yard if that ever were to happen.
SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 10:23 PM

We had a tree hit by lightning fall in the yard, didn't do any damage. The guy we called to remove it, told us that our neighbor's tree was diseased and could fall at any time on our house. We contacted him, he call a tree guy to check it out, and the guy told him that he should thank me because it could have fallen on either of our houses. He paid $600 to have it removed. My tree guy said that since I notified him that it was diseased and in danger of falling, if it had, he would have been responsible for any damage it caused, but if lightning or a storm brought it down, then that's considered an act of God, or if he had never been notified, it would be assumed he didn't know, and we would have been responsible. If any hanging limbs are on your side of the property, you can have them removed as long as they don't damage the tree. Or so I was told. Laws are probably different in different areas.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 12:17 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 12:03 AM

Only in the middle of the street but not onto our property :)

melliburger
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 1:51 AM

No we haven't.

wandep
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 2:23 PM
No but call your ins company if it was during the storm they might cover it?
SarahSuzyQ
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 4:17 PM
We took down several trees this spring because we were worried about their location and the possibility of falling on our house. None of the neighbor's trees would fall onto our property, but their leaves sure seem to blow into our yard a lot!
virginiamama71
by Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 4:24 PM

We had a tree fall in our yard but so far nothing from the neighbor's.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)