Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Our Adventure in Finding the Perfect First Day of School Outfit

By YvonneMarieV on Aug. 21, 2014 at 1:25 AM

When it comes to back to school shopping with my daughter, Every Little Thing Is A Really Big Deal. This is especially true when shopping for her "first day of school" outfit. We've made a tradition out of picking something special for the first day and finding the perfect outfit for the big day is always an adventure!

Before we began our shopping adventure, we sat down to discuss things like how to budget and what exactly she was hoping to wear/what things she absolutely did not want to wear. (Dress, yes! Jeans, NO!) I've found that discussing these things ahead of time help to keep things drama free while out shopping. 

We left the house early in the morning determined to find something she would love and feel comfortable wearing for her first day of 5th grade. 

We hit the clearance racks first because that's what we do. On the very first rack, we found an adorable black dress in her size. 

"Can I please try it on, Mom?" She asked excitedly. "I love it so much!"

She tried it on and it fit perfectly! And in that instant, she decided that was the dress she would wear on her first day of 5th grade. 

Now, it was time to accessorize. The dress was absolutely adorable, but it was black and she wanted to add a little color to the outfit. I suggested we look for a cute scarf, or maybe a brightly colored bracelet. 

She had a different idea.

"I think I want to find a cute belt to wear with it!" She said.

We headed to the back of the girl's clothing section and found a display of belts. She looked through them, trying to decide which one she liked best. She found a set of 3 belts that she loved and thought would look good with the dress.

She was right. The pink belt was exactly what the dress needed. It added a pop of color and gave the dress a bit of flare. In less than an hour, she had picked out the perfect first day of school outfit. And the best part? We were under budget! 

Need some inspiration for you and your child's back to school shopping adventure? Check out Target on Pinterest!

YvonneMarieV About :
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
  • LaniBee
  • by on Aug. 21, 2014 at 8:43 AM
  • She looks fabulous!

My youngest just started 8th grade this week and I have learned (having been through this before with her older sister) to just stay out of it!  I tell her she looks beautiful no matter what she wears!  lol

• Quote Reply
  • virginiamama71
  • by on Aug. 21, 2014 at 9:17 AM
  •  My son stopped wearing jeans in 3rd grade. Said they were uncomfortable. While shopping last week he decided he would wear jeans again.

He will wear jeans and a Minecraft tshirt the first day.

• Quote Reply
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN