Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

I feel bad for my husband

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 11:08 AM
  • 18 Replies

Our dryer died over a month ago and it would not heat up, so we pulled it out and got a used one for $50 to last till my husband got a chance to look at the other one to try and fix it. Yesterday he finally tore it apart, completely apart except for  taking apart the motor. He is a maitnence mechanic so he knows how to do stuff like this and has tools to test every thing. All the wires and conections are testing good. we cleaned it out and he tested the motor even b passed one switch that he thought was the problem, but even after everything he did the dryer still won't work. He spent hours working on it and did everything he could to try and fix it and it did no good. He was so frustrated. It looks like the only thing that is left that it could possibly be is this one certain part that costs about $100, which he would have to order online and if it doesn't work I don't know if he could return it. So we are left with a choice of buying the part and hoping it is the problem to fix a 5 year old dryer or looking for a new one. The one we bought used works okay, but is older than the one we had.

by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 11:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sonshining
by Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 12:13 PM

Aw, I know that is frustrating, poor guy. I know, my husband works on our appliances to no avail sometimes, and it is hard to purchase the new one when we don't have the funds! Hoping your used dryer stays working, at least it works now!

othermom
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 12:26 PM

Quoting sonshining:

Aw, I know that is frustrating, poor guy. I know, my husband works on our appliances to no avail sometimes, and it is hard to purchase the new one when we don't have the funds! Hoping your used dryer stays working, at least it works now!

The used one works good, but right now I also use my clothes line as much as possible. I can't this winter though

momofnatalie
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 12:57 PM

That is awful that your dryer only lasted five years.  I think maybe your DH could see if there are any places he could find the part locally so he could return it if it doesn't work.  I know when our central air unit went kaput, DH figured he needed this part and of course they don't sell it at the local hardware store.  He did find a place which was 30 miles away and was able to get it.  He had 7 days to return it if it didn't work. 

DixonBabies
by Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 1:01 PM

Around here we have a couple washer and dryer drop offs that also sells parts. maybe look into that to see if yall have that option where you live?

DixonBabies
by Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 1:02 PM

And I know, we are in the same place almost...our dryver dries but it takes 3 or so hours for it to dry so it's wasting a lot of energy to do so. But our set is like 15 years old too and worked great never had any problems untl now. 

othermom
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Quoting momofnatalie:

That is awful that your dryer only lasted five years.  I think maybe your DH could see if there are any places he could find the part locally so he could return it if it doesn't work.  I know when our central air unit went kaput, DH figured he needed this part and of course they don't sell it at the local hardware store.  He did find a place which was 30 miles away and was able to get it.  He had 7 days to return it if it didn't work. 

We live in a small town in a not very populated area. Our town is only around 16,000 people and the next biggest town is around 17,000(30 minutes away and they may or may not have it). If they don't have it there we would have to go over an hour away for a part and the cost of gas would be a lot.

othermom
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 2:50 PM

Quoting DixonBabies:

And I know, we are in the same place almost...our dryver dries but it takes 3 or so hours for it to dry so it's wasting a lot of energy to do so. But our set is like 15 years old too and worked great never had any problems untl now. 

That is what ours would do. It will turn and eventually dry stuff but does not heat at all. I will look to see if any place in our area has a place to get parts. There are a few people who will pick old dryers and stuff up to scrap them, but thats about it

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 3:06 PM

it sucks - we went through the same thing with our washer, my husband sat there for hours taking it apart and trying to see what was wrong with it... in the end we went to the store and just bought a new one, no choice ! it was that or the laundry mat !!

ahappymommy
by Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 3:14 PM

The heating element is burnt out, thats why it wont heat!

othermom
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 4:13 PM

Quoting ahappymommy:

The heating element is burnt out, thats why it wont heat!

Nope, he checked it and everything with it looks fine, he pulled it out and examined it and everything. He has a little machine to test different parts of stuff and everything was fine. That is what we figured the issue would be which is why he pulled it apart to begin with.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN