Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

My Son Needs Glasses~ Any Advice

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 9:59 PM
  • 74 Replies

My son just finished up his 2nd week of first grade and will start wearing glasses to school for the first time Monday. He needs glasses for reading and writing. He is nervous that kids may make fun of him; while I am nervous about him taking care of them durnig the day while he is at school. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance,

Michal

by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 9:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kmqw229
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 10:51 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't have any advice, but it will be so nice for him to see better!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 12:17 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 12:11 AM
1 mom liked this

He will  try but be prepared to maybe have to get another pair,
Yes other kids may tease & use the old *four eyes*
Remind him if they do to say something like the bettet to see you
My oldest started wearing them younger that that & did pretty good.
Your son will do well too :)

melliburger
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 2:07 AM

I don't remember being made fun of for wearing glasses! Not even now do I have any issues. I think you should just enrcourage him to wear them when he needs to and hopefully he does not get made fun of. I'm sure he will not be the only one wearing glasses in his class.

Momofmenagerie
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 2:10 AM
Kids don 't make fun of glasses. They really don't. And the optometrist and store clerks can help you find the best frames for his needs if you haven 't gotten them yet.

His teacher will be happy to help ensure he is wearing them when needed and may offer to keep them on her desk if not. .

Pop her an email and explain and ask.

I do suggest of you can to get the buy one get half off just as insurance policy. I 'd also get a thin strap to put them on to avoid " I forgot them " syndrome

Seriously though , glasses are noticed and maybe mentioned " I like your glasses or you got glasses! Or do they really help you see? But they won't tease.... 1st graders just don't notice that stuff .

If you don 't make a big deal, he won't. It really isn't a big deal to anyone
Momofmenagerie
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 2:17 AM

Mobile Photo

My son and his glasses at three. He's had them since 18 months. Even kids how haven 't seen glasses on a kid their age don 't notice.

He had one question about them from a little girl just asking why. He answered honestly. "because when I don't , I don't see walls fast enough and hurt my head... A LOT!" Haha

She was just like, oh, okay. And it was done. In less than three weeks time, he was waking up and asking for them.

( that is not me in the pic, btw, but his teacher.)
goldilocksbecky
by on Aug. 23, 2014 at 6:15 AM

My DS has been in glasses since he was 2.  Like others have said, kids really don't tease over glasses.  They may mention or comment on them, but not tease.  My DS has to wear his all the time.  But I'm also a teacher and I always tell my students "on your face or in the case" to remind them to keep them in the case when they aren't wearing them (for students who take them off for things like recess and PE).

Be prepared that you will likely go through at least 2 pairs a year.  I recommend getting them from Lenscrafters.  They do 50% off children's glasses every day.  But even with that, they can be a little more expensive initially.  But, their replacement plan is wonderful.  And you have the benefit that they are open way more hours, including evenings and weekends for repairs and replacements.  (Most are in the mall and follow mall hours).  

We've even had situations where we were traveling out of town on a Saturday and DS's frames broke.  He's pretty much blind without them.  We found the closest Lenscrafters and headed over.  They pulled up DS's record to find the frame that he had.  They didn't have it in stock in that store, but did in the one across town.  So we went there.  They got his lenses into the new frame and we were on our way.  I would have never been able to do that if we had bought from the eye doctors office, etc.  

Good luck!

Janet
by Ruby Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 8:43 AM

Kids these days don't seem to make fun of glasses. I think it's because so many wear them.

He just has to be careful in gym and on the playground. They might break. If you don't want him to wear them at those times, send a glass case and ask the teacher to keep them at those times. Don't let him leave them at his desk, that's how we had a pair get broken.

Hope this helps. Hope he has a great year!

SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 8:57 AM

When my dgd got glasses at age 6, we talked to her about the possibility of kids making fun. She said kids aren't allowed to do that, and they didn't. I would make sure to get insurance for the glasses. She only wore hers in the classroom, forgot to leave them in her desk when they went out for recess, put them in her pocket, they fell out and another child stepped on them.

wandep
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 9:21 AM

I would mention it to his teacher and let her know that he is worried about it.  Good luck!

SarahSuzyQ
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 7:38 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with all the other ladies that say kids don't tease for glasses... I have been in my son's classrooms multiple times over the past few years, and never even heard the kids mention someone wearing glasses. My son, also going into first, wants to get glasses because he thinks they are cool!

But if your son is worried, maybe help him think of some people or characters he admires who wear glasses. He can be "just like X", and maybe that will help build his confidence.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)