Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

How do I get my toddler to go to sleep by himself??

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2014 at 12:27 AM
  • 19 Replies

So my son is now 3 and we still have to rock him to sleep every night.  I am currently pregnant with our 2nd baby and i want to be able to not have to spend an hour each night trying to get my son to go to sleep. How do we train him so we can just lay him in the bed and say goodnight then leave the room and he go to sleep by himself. I have no idea how to do it??

Also how do i break him of crawling into our bed in the middle of the night and sleeping there he rest of the night. Our house is very tiny and our rooms connect. The doors do not latch so I cant just put him in there and shut the door.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

by on Aug. 23, 2014 at 12:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melliburger
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 2:12 AM

I do not have any advice. We are dealing with some sleep issues here too.

MixedCooke
by Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 7:16 AM
I have mine my sleep shirt so she had Mommy scent for comfort. I never let them sleep in our bed.
PogoPalOj
by Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 7:26 AM

Have you told him what a big boy he is?  Make sure he is very active during the day after his nap.  I used to wear my daughter out by playing with her all day. 

Janet
by Ruby Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 9:06 AM

Maybe lay in his bed with him until he falls asleep instead of rock him. Him coming in. That's a hard one. My kids all slept with me up to3 or 4.. You have to take him back in his room and tell him he has to stay there. Tell him he is a big boy. Give him a night light. Anything else he likes. You have to be consistent and it is easier with some than it is others.

Let us know how it goes if you decide to try it. :)

SarahSuzyQ
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 7:43 PM
1 mom liked this
I would gradually wean him off being rocked. Maybe start by laying next to him in bed, then sitting on the floor next to his bed, then across the room, outside the door, and so on. It will take a bit, but it might create a more gradual transition.

Do you have a baby gate? Maybe you can put that in the door between your rooms so he does not come in during the night... After talking with him about it, and maybe giving him ideas of what he can do that will help fall back asleep.
funny_girl3
by Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 10:02 PM

I laid with my youngest until she fell asleep.  Also, I did my best to wear her out after dinner and moved her bedtime later so that she would be more inclined to fall asleep.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:19 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Gold Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 12:26 AM

Aww I agree with all the others,
Most important is to stay consistent .. good luck :)

Yuriko_chan
by on Aug. 24, 2014 at 11:02 AM

My son is 3 as well. We started just keeping him company while he falls asleep. So I sit in the rocking chair and just sit there while he lays down and goes to sleep. Every now and then he wants me to rock him. But he's so big that I usually say no. He also has been coming into our bed quite a lot at night. Lately, I just walk him back to his room. Sometimes I have to lay down with him while he falls asleep again.

AmiJanell
by on Aug. 24, 2014 at 11:15 AM
2 moms liked this

1. Stop rocking him to sleep

2. Tell him it's bedtime and he needs to go to sleep.  Set up a routine, read 1-2 books, turn on some lullabies, give some kisses and leave the room. 

3. If he gets up in the middle of the night, march him back to his room and tell him to go to sleep. 

He probably won't like his new arrangements at first, and it will be hard the first few nights... just stick with it and be firm. 

smileandnod
by on Aug. 24, 2014 at 11:41 AM

I had a problem like this with my 4th child. I don't know how, but somehow we got *dumber* at sleep training as we had more experience. Or maybe we were smarter. My first coslept for 3 years and didn't sleep train until age 16 months, and #4 was 14 months. But the problem was worse. We got up with him every 2 hours until I hired a sleep expert for a phone consultation. A friend had also used her with great results. I can recommend her. She's excellent. Based in Philly area, but does phone consults anywhere. Best thing I ever bought for my baby, and for me, as a mother. Gentle and effective with lots and lots of support for nervous parents. Took 3 days. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN